Determining Bravais Lattice from Primitive Translation Vectors

In summary, The conversation discusses the determination of bravais lattice from primitive translation vectors in a crystal with one atom basis. The given vectors are a1=3i, a2=3j, and a3=(3/2)(i+j+k). The problem also asks for the angles between these vectors and the compatible lattices. However, the angles were not given and it is suggested that they can be determined using trigonometry. The speaker does not have any idea about the compatible lattices.
Syed Bilal
hi,
i don't know how to determine bravais lattice from primitive translation vectors.The problem is as:
A crystal with one atom basis, has a set of primitive translational vectors as a1=3i, a2= 3j and a3= (3/2)(i+j+k). What is the bravais lattice.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the angles between these vectors? With which lattices are they compartible?

DrDu said:
What are the angles between these vectors? With which lattices are they compartible?

The problem did not give any angels but i think that finding angles between them is not hard as i j and k are the unit vectors using trignometry angles can be easily determined. I have no idea with which lattices they are compatible

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of solid materials, such as crystals, semiconductors, and metals. It involves understanding the behavior of atoms and electrons in a solid state and how they interact with each other to determine the material's properties.

2. What are some common applications of solid state physics?

Solid state physics has numerous applications, including the development of electronic devices such as transistors, solar cells, and computer chips. It also plays a crucial role in the development of materials for energy production, such as batteries and fuel cells, and in the study of materials for medical use, such as implants and drug delivery systems.

3. What are some common problems encountered in solid state physics?

Some common problems in solid state physics include understanding the properties and behaviors of new materials, predicting and controlling the properties of materials under different conditions, and developing methods to manipulate and control the movement of electrons within materials.

4. How does solid state physics relate to other branches of physics?

Solid state physics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It also has connections to other fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering, as the properties of materials are influenced by their atomic and electronic structures.

5. What are some practical uses of solid state physics in our daily lives?

Solid state physics has numerous practical uses in our daily lives, from the electronic devices we use, such as smartphones and computers, to technologies that help us generate and store energy. It also plays a role in the development of new materials for various applications, from clothing to medical devices.