Breaking static friction w/ a circle

In summary, the problem involves a crate of mass 35 kg on the flat bed of a truck rounding an unbanked curve of radius 80.0 m. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and truck is 0.410. The question is asking for the maximum speed the truck can move without the crate sliding. Using the equation for centripetal force, F_c = m(v^2/r), and the maximum static friction, μ_sN, the speed can be calculated to be 17.93 m/s or 40.11 miles per hour. The correct units conversion is also shown in the solution.
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

A crate (35 kg) is located in the middle of the flat bed of a pickup truck as the truck rounds an unbanked curve in the road. The curve may be regarded as an arc of a circle of radius 80.0 m. If the coefficient of static friction between crate and truck is 0.410, how fast can the truck be moving in m/s and miles per hour without the crate sliding? (1 mile = 1609 m)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just doing some practice problems before my midterm next week...I have NO idea how to approach this one

I have mass (35kg)
coefficient of F_S is .410

we haven't gone over something like this yet in class...but I want to practice any problems I can...

where do I even begin to start with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think: how does the crate move with respect to the ground? What force keeps the crate on the flat bed of the trunk?

ehild

ehild said:
Think: how does the crate move with respect to the ground? What force keeps the crate on the flat bed of the trunk?

ehild

well the crate will move depending on the movement of the truck...the truck turns too far left...the crate will move to the right

gravity is keeping the crate on the bed of the truck...and friction is (until it's overtaken) stopping the crate from moving

If the crate does not slide, what will be its acceleration (magnitude and direction)?

haruspex said:
If the crate does not slide, what will be its acceleration (magnitude and direction)?

if the crate does not move...there is no acceleration therefor no change in direction/magnitude...so 0

CollegeStudent said:
if the crate does not move...there is no acceleration therefor no change in direction/magnitude...so 0
It doesn't move relative to the truck, but the truck is rounding a bend. The truck is moving at constant speed but its velocity (and therefore the crate's velocity) is changing. Any change in velocity is an acceleration.

okay...understood...since velocity does depend on direction...and if direction is changing so is velocity

so then if it involves a circular motion...has a radius...and a velocity

would I be using

F_c (centripetal force) = m(v ² / r)?

CollegeStudent said:
okay...understood...since velocity does depend on direction...and if direction is changing so is velocity

so then if it involves a circular motion...has a radius...and a velocity

would I be using

F_c (centripetal force) = m(v ² / r)?

Yes, the crate needs a force equal to the centripetal force. What force is exerted on it by the bed of the truck?

ehild

perpendicular to the surface would be the normal force...

and just for the future when I need it

Ffriction = μ_s * N

and we know μ_s is .410

but to answer your question...normal force

Yes, there is the normal force from the bed which cancels with gravity. But friction is also a force from the bed, in horizontal direction. It prevents slipping. Without friction, the crate would slip radially outward, so the force of static friction points radially inward. It supplies the centripetal force.

As you have written, the maximum static friction μsN, and N=mg as the crate does not accelerate vertically. And the force of static friction is equal to the centripetal force. So what is the possible maximum speed when the crate does not slip?

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, there is the normal force from the bed which cancels with gravity. But friction is also a force from the bed, in horizontal direction. It prevents slipping. Without friction, the crate would slip radially outward, so the force of static friction points radially inward. It supplies the centripetal force.

As you have written, the maximum static friction μsN, and N=mg as the crate does not accelerate vertically. And the force of static friction is equal to the centripetal force. So what is the possible maximum speed when the crate does not slip?

ehild

hmmm so what you're saying is that the force of static friction would be equal to the centripetal force

so

F_s = F_c?

μ_s N = m(V²/r)

μ_s * mg = m(V² / r)

m's cancel so

μ_s * g = V² / r

so

.410 * 9.8 = V² / 80

so V² would equal (.410 * 9.8) * 80?

and V would equal √((.410 * 9.8)*80) ?

is that correct?

CollegeStudent said:
and V would equal √((.410 * 9.8)*80) ?

is that correct?
Yes, the units being...?

well let's see..

the square root...of meters/second² times meters

so meters ² / seconds ²

square root would make it m/s

so the answer I'm getting would be

17.93m/s

we want this in miles per hour so

17.93 m/s (1 mile / 1609 meters)(3600 seconds / 1 hour)

this comes out to

40.11 m/h

look right?

Yes, that looks right. I approve of the way you embedded the units conversion in the equation. I wish more would do it like that.

haruspex said:
Yes, that looks right. I approve of the way you embedded the units conversion in the equation. I wish more would do it like that.

that's how I've always done it...it keeps me better organized! ...but thank you for your help!

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between two surfaces in contact.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. Static friction is generally higher than kinetic friction, making it more difficult to overcome.

How does a circle help to break static friction?

A circle helps to break static friction by distributing the applied force over a larger area, reducing the pressure on the surface and decreasing the amount of friction. This is known as the "rolling resistance" of a circle.

What factors affect the amount of static friction?

The amount of static friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the material the surfaces are made of. It also depends on the surface area and the contact pressure.

What can be done to reduce static friction?

To reduce static friction, you can use lubricants to make the surfaces smoother, increase the surface area in contact, or decrease the force pushing the surfaces together. Rotating or rolling an object can also help to break static friction.