Breaking Up or Staying Together: What Should You Do?

• Thread starter nucleargirl
  • Start date
In summary: They may have money, education, great looks, and all the other "requirements" for a successful relationship, but in the end--their hearts are unfulfilled.In Summary, you think it is not fair to your partner to be with them because they are not 100% in love with them, but you still want them in your life. You think that if you broke up they would eventually lose them to their eventual new partner.
jackmell said:
I stand by my opinion that a relationship is vital to a woman; she can hardly live without it. A man can. And her hair is very important to her as well as how she looks in clothes. I mean she wants to attract a man and her hair and how she looks is a crucial component to that strategy.

I agree that if a woman's mother was telling her to fix her hair and get some new clothes if she wants to get a bf, she wouldn't get the same criticism you are getting on this thread. However, I think it has to do with your posts making it sound like women's main concern in life is their relationship and everything else, like work or science, is less meaningful to them.

Second, I'm curious what you think the difference is between men and women that a relation is less vital to men and they can live without it, whereas women cannot. I'm not saying I agree with you, necessarily. I'm just curious how you reason that this difference is caused if it in fact exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I too think that the attention on attractiveness is masking deeper feelings.

I agree: that does sound possible, Nuke. No disrespect to you. I know I've sometimes made excuses myself, that I only realized years later wasn't really what was bothering me.
DaveC426913 said:
Don't take this as advice or as insight - same with any replies in this thread. Take it as food for thought. We know nothing. Only you know how you feel and why you feel that way.
[PLAIN]http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/orson-welles-clapping.gif What Dave said. Couldn't have said it better.
nucleargirl said:
Right now I'll just make myself and anyone I meet miserable.
Ahh! Don't be so hard on yourself. There are plenty of other people in the world looking to beat a person up emotionally (and some physically).
brainstorm said:
So much for that fantasy :rolleyes:
I know. I totally love librarians too. Smart woman with glasses in a blouse and medium length skirt. I believe it was the immortal bard that said it best: "Raaarrr!" :redface:
jackmell said:
I stand by my opinion that a relationship is vital to a woman;
It's more accurate to say: "it's important to a woman...[that's actually looking]." Same as it would be for a man whose looking. But also: it obviously isn't contingent upon anyone's personal attractiveness themselves (especially being that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all). I believe that the Twilight Zone settled that one a long time ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHp9q3QTmVQ&feature
she can hardly live without it.
Why do you say that?
A man can.
I can't. I really can't--I know I need women around me to feel happy. Even without having a relationship with them. I've worked in an all boys school.

I also at one time worked in two different all girl schools. To be fair: I don't personally feel a microcosm like school should ever segregate the students--I think it ought to simulate real life.

And her hair is very important to her as well as how she looks in clothes. I mean she wants to attract a man and her hair and how she looks is a crucial component to that strategy.
Maybe you only notice that because you like women's hair? I like women's hair. Still I don't recall any women ever trying to "woo" me by seductive use of her hair. Frankly, it sounds tricky. That might even be comical.

That might be the equivalent of me doing some sort of impromptu "gun show"-esque flexing, or ridiculous pelvis shaking (which is sure to get me slapped and laughed at, I'm almost certain). For further reference, I would check out that "Pompostic Dancing" Thread we once started. :biggrin: Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
brainstorm said:
I'm curious what you think the difference is between men and women that a relation is less vital to men and they can live without it, whereas women cannot. I'm not saying I agree with you, necessarily. I'm just curious how you reason that this difference is caused if it in fact exists.

Hum . . . men want sex, women want strong mates to father their children. Women though usually take care of the children which for H.sapiens is quite a job considering he takes so long to grow up. And the child needs nurturing over those years. She provides that intimate, personal care that helps the child develop traits which are useful in the culture/society they grow up in. And she'd like help and often needs help with that job so she seeks relationships with men who offer a different yet synergistic set of traits which together, man and woman, are more successful than the individuals. And he is imbued with the hunter-survivor instinct: to acquire possessions, to effect dominance over other men, to hunt and provide and to survive, and compete in challenges for the women, to be strong, and sexually active. So I think we have the nurturing, caring, loving traits provided by the women and compels her to seek relationships, and the contrasting traits of the hunter-warrior that is man. He can live alone but much more difficult for the female to do so I think.

jackmell said:
Hum . . . men want sex, women want strong mates to father their children. Women though usually take care of the children which for H.sapiens is quite a job considering he takes so long to grow up. And the child needs nurturing over those years. She provides that intimate, personal care that helps the child develop traits which are useful in the culture/society they grow up in. And she'd like help and often needs help with that job so she seeks relationships with men who offer a different yet synergistic set of traits which together, man and woman, are more successful than the individuals. And he is imbued with the hunter-survivor instinct: to acquire possessions, to effect dominance over other men, to hunt and provide and to survive, and compete in challenges for the women, to be strong, and sexually active. So I think we have the nurturing, caring, loving traits provided by the women and compels her to seek relationships, and the contrasting traits of the hunter-warrior that is man. He can live alone but much more difficult for the female to do so I think.

What about males who look after the kids whilst the women work?

What about women (or men) in violent relationships? Are they "stronger as one" or better off apart?

Do women not want sex?

Can fathers not be just as nuturing as a mother?

You have a really skewed view of the reality of things. It's like listening to someone back in the 1950's. This doesn't reflect reality (at least the majority case).

I agree a child needs a mother and a father (figures in their lives), but this is not a requirement and you are making some really erroneous statements which don't hold true these days.

jackmell said:

You're trolling now. This discussion is worthless.

jackmell said:

That sounds very...robotic. Are we really all programmed to behave a certain way; and we can't deviate from that if we want to?

Perhaps we do have gender predispositions to behave a certain way--PERHAPS under basic survival conditions--but those rolls are something that could also be reinforced by a society's biased expectations of us (rather than a person's actual desire to fulfill them).

And beside that: how often do any of us, living in this day and age, really need to go out a club a yak (or a mate)? The closest most people (living in civilization) get to clubbing anywhere, is on a dance floor with square lights in it.

jarednjames said:
What about women (or men) in violent relationships? Are they "stronger as one" or better off apart?

Is a good point.

Do women not want sex?

Hmmm...well, we could ask. :blushing: They do moderate here after all. It's not like we have to travel to Venus to solve this mystery.

S'cuse me...*doing his best Woody Allen impression* I guess shouldn't be talking anyway--I do live on another planet myself, after all.

But seriously: I don't imagine it would be worth it if you didn't love someone. As George Carlin once said: "Have you ever [engaged in intercourse] with someone reading a comic book?"

I wouldn't feed him Francis.

The original topic seems to be long gone. Trollapalooza is now closed.