How Tall Is the Building If a Brick Is Thrown Upward?

In summary, using the given information, the vertical displacement of the brick can be calculated using the kinematic equation and this value will give the height of the building.
MDT5507

Homework Statement

A brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 23.8 degrees above the horizontal and with an initial speed of a 14.2 m/s. Acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s/s. If the brick is in flight for 3.3 s how tall is the building?

Homework Equations

d=vi*t+1/2*a*t^2, trigonometry (sin=opp/hyp cos=adj/hyp)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used trig to get my vertical and horizontal vf and vi(horizontal 12.99 & 12.99, vertical 5.73 & -5.73) Then i plugged in these and my time into the kinematic equation. d=5.73*3.3+-4.9+3.3^2. My d in this answer would be the height of the building I thought, but the online assignment says its incorrect. I believe the vertical displacement would be the height of the building and i solved it to be 24.899.

Physics news on Phys.org
MDT5507 said:

Homework Statement

A brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 23.8 degrees above the horizontal and with an initial speed of a 14.2 m/s. Acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s/s. If the brick is in flight for 3.3 s how tall is the building?

Homework Equations

d=vi*t+1/2*a*t^2, trigonometry (sin=opp/hyp cos=adj/hyp)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used trig to get my vertical and horizontal vf and vi(horizontal 12.99 & 12.99, vertical 5.73 & -5.73) Then i plugged in these and my time into the kinematic equation. d=5.73*3.3+-4.9+3.3^2. My d in this answer would be the height of the building I thought, but the online assignment says its incorrect. I believe the vertical displacement would be the height of the building and i solved it to be 24.899.
Check your kinematic equation again ...you wrote it down incorrectly. Your approach is ok, but the final velocities when the brick hits the ground are incorrect, but not needed here.

Thanks, so am I correct that the vertical displacement would give me the height of the building?

MDT5507 said:
Thanks, so am I correct that the vertical displacement would give me the height of the building
Yes, correct.

Your attempt at a solution is correct! The vertical displacement of the brick is indeed equal to the height of the building. However, there may be a small error in your calculation. When plugging in the values into the kinematic equation, be sure to use the correct signs for the acceleration and the time. In this case, the acceleration should be negative (due to gravity pulling the brick downwards) and the time should be positive. Also, be sure to use the correct units for all values (meters and seconds in this case). So the correct calculation would be:

d = (5.73 m/s)(3.3 s) + (1/2)(-9.8 m/s^2)(3.3 s)^2
= 18.9 m + (-52.7 m)
= -33.8 m

The negative sign indicates that the displacement is in the downward direction, which makes sense since the brick is thrown upwards and then falls back down. So the height of the building is actually 33.8 m.

What is the impact force of a brick thrown from a building?

The impact force of a brick thrown from a building depends on a variety of factors such as the height from which it was thrown, the angle at which it was thrown, and the mass and velocity of the brick. It can range from a few hundred to several thousand newtons.

Can throwing a brick from a building cause injury or damage?

Yes, throwing a brick from a building can cause serious injury or damage. The impact force of a falling brick can break bones, cause concussions, and even be fatal. The falling brick can also damage property, such as cars or windows.

What is the terminal velocity of a brick thrown from a building?

The terminal velocity of a brick thrown from a building is approximately 64 feet per second. This is the maximum speed that the brick can reach as it falls due to air resistance. However, this can vary depending on the shape and weight of the brick.

What is the trajectory of a brick thrown from a building?

The trajectory of a brick thrown from a building is a parabolic curve. This means that the brick follows a path that is curved downward due to the force of gravity. The angle at which the brick is thrown and the height from which it is thrown can affect the shape and length of the trajectory.

Is there a safe way to throw a brick from a building for scientific purposes?

No, there is no safe way to throw a brick from a building for scientific purposes. This type of experiment is extremely dangerous and should not be conducted. Researchers should use alternative methods, such as simulations or controlled experiments, to study the effects of a brick thrown from a building.