Bridge rectifier transfer function

In summary, the transfer function of a bridge rectifier can be either (b) or (g), depending on the polarity of the output.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am asked to decide which one of these is the transfer function of a bridge rectifier
upload_2017-4-12_21-46-9.png

I was thinking D, but my friend says D is for when there is only one diode. Can anyone explain what the right choice is and why? This is not homework, rather preparation for my final.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to provide an attempt at solution along with your reasoning for that choice. What exactly are the graphs showing?

gneill said:
You'll need to provide an attempt at solution along with your reasoning for that choice. What exactly are the graphs showing?
Well they show vout along the x-axis and vin along the y-axis. I suppose it would make sense for D to be for one diode, since it would only start conducting at 0.7, and after I assume the slope is 1 ?

I assume the horizontal axis is a floating differential voltage input, and the vertical axis is the resulting floating differential output voltage while some current is being drawn by a load.

For a rectifier the output voltage will always remain above or below the x-axis.
There will be no output until there is sufficient voltage to turn on two diodes in the bridge.

The output transfer function could be (b) or (g) depending on the polarity of the output.
I would nominate (g) as it is a positive output.Half of the figures are simple cases of reversing the input or output polarity convention. Apart from the bridge, there are forward and reversed diodes. There is also a pair of back to back diodes in parallel.

Now you should be able to go through the figures and draw a circuit using one, two or four diodes that will give each of those transfer functions.

Likes Cocoleia
Baluncore said:
I assume the horizontal axis is a floating differential voltage input, and the vertical axis is the resulting floating differential output voltage while some current is being drawn by a load.

For a rectifier the output voltage will always remain above or below the x-axis.
There will be no output until there is sufficient voltage to turn on two diodes in the bridge.

The output transfer function could be (b) or (g) depending on the polarity of the output.
I would nominate (g) as it is a positive output.Half of the figures are simple cases of reversing the input or output polarity convention. Apart from the bridge, there are forward and reversed diodes. There is also a pair of back to back diodes in parallel.

Now you should be able to go through the figures and draw a circuit using one, two or four diodes that will give each of those transfer functions.
Thank you, this is really clear now!

1. What is a bridge rectifier transfer function?

A bridge rectifier transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output voltages of a bridge rectifier circuit. It shows how the AC input voltage is converted into a pulsating DC output voltage.

2. How is the bridge rectifier transfer function calculated?

The bridge rectifier transfer function can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. It can also be derived using the diode characteristic equation and Kirchhoff's laws.

3. What factors can affect the bridge rectifier transfer function?

The bridge rectifier transfer function can be affected by the diode characteristics, input voltage, load resistance, and temperature. These factors can cause nonlinearities in the output voltage and affect the efficiency of the rectification process.

4. What is the significance of the bridge rectifier transfer function?

The bridge rectifier transfer function is important for understanding the performance of a bridge rectifier circuit. It helps in designing and analyzing the circuit for optimal efficiency and output voltage. It is also used in troubleshooting and identifying any issues with the rectifier circuit.

5. How can the bridge rectifier transfer function be improved?

The bridge rectifier transfer function can be improved by using diodes with lower voltage drops, using a smoothing capacitor to reduce the ripple in the output voltage, and implementing a feedback circuit to regulate the output voltage. Additionally, using higher quality components and proper circuit layout can also improve the transfer function.