Ideal Diode Exam Prep: Problem & Solution Help

• Thread starter Cocoleia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation is about how to solve a problem related to understanding a circuit for an upcoming exam. The person is seeking help in understanding how to approach the problem and how to express Vout as a function of Vin. Several points are made about not assuming that the diode will always be on and the importance of analyzing the circuit for both cases of the diode conducting and not conducting. It is suggested to pick specific values for the input and see what the circuit is doing for each case. It is also mentioned that when the diode is off, Vout would be equal to Vin/2 as it is a simple voltage divider. The conversation ends with a clarification on how the output signal should look like.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am trying to prepare for an exam that is tomorrow, my professor gave sample questions but did not give us any solutions or answers. I have trouble with this question:
upload_2017-2-10_19-21-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do. I would maybe try to figure out if the diode should be on or off. I would assume on in this case and then try to write vout as a function of vin? This isn't homework, I just really need to understand for my exam can someone please explain the steps to me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't assume that the diode will always be on: the input is varying with time. Pick several locations along the input curve as test values and see what the circuit is doing for each. After one or two judiciously chosen points it should become clear how to sketch in the whole thing.

gneill said:
Don't assume that the diode will always be on: the input is varying with time. Pick several locations along the input curve as test values and see what the circuit is doing for each. After one or two judiciously chosen points it should become clear how to sketch in the whole thing.
What equation do I test those points in though ?

Cocoleia said:
What equation do I test those points in though ?
It's up to you to write equations for the circuit. You have two cases: diode conducting and diode not conducting. So two circuits to analyze.

gneill said:
It's up to you to write equations for the circuit. You have two cases: diode conducting and diode not conducting. So two circuits to analyze.
If it is on, then vin=vout? and the other case I don't know

gneill said:
If I am going to have two equations, then which one am I going to draw ? Do I at least have the right idea, trying to express Vout as a function of Vin ? Or am I completely lost

Cocoleia said:
If it is on, then vin=vout?
Sure. For what parts of the input signal is it on?
and the other case I don't know
Why not? What is the path of the current in that case? What components does it flow through? What are the potential drops?
Cocoleia said:
If I am going to have two equations, then which one am I going to draw ? Do I at least have the right idea, trying to express Vout as a function of Vin ? Or am I completely lost
Just pick a few individual values that the input can assume, like 0 V, 10 V, -10 V. See what the circuit is doing for each case. You'll be plotting points for BOTH versions of the circuit depending upon what the circuit is doing (diode conducting or not) at any particular time.

gneill said:

Why not? What is the path of the current in that case? What components does it flow through? What are the potential drops?

Just pick a few individual values that the input can assume, like 0 V, 10 V, -10 V. See what the circuit is doing for each case. You'll be plotting points for BOTH versions of the circuit depending upon what the circuit is doing (diode conducting or not) at any particular time.
Ok, so when it is off vout = vin/2 ?

Cocoleia said:
Ok, so when it is off vout = vin/2 ?
Yes, It's a simple voltage divider when the diode is off.

gneill said:

Would it look something like this?
upload_2017-2-10_20-2-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-10_20-1-19.png
    upload_2017-2-10_20-1-19.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 425
No. That doesn't show the action of the diode. It looks like a "pure" voltage divider, affecting the whole input waveform equally.

Edit:
However, if you choose the appropriate portions of both curves using the conclusions you've drawn earlier, you should be able to piece together the entire output signal.

Last edited:
Likes Cocoleia

1. What is an ideal diode?

An ideal diode is a theoretical electronic component that acts as a one-way valve for electric current. It allows current to flow in one direction and blocks it in the opposite direction, similar to a regular diode. However, an ideal diode has zero resistance in the forward direction and infinite resistance in the reverse direction, resulting in a perfect and efficient flow of current.

2. What is the purpose of an ideal diode?

The purpose of an ideal diode is to control the direction of electric current in a circuit. It can be used to protect sensitive components from reverse current, prevent battery discharge, and regulate the voltage and current in a circuit.

3. How does an ideal diode differ from a regular diode?

An ideal diode differs from a regular diode in several ways. While a regular diode has a small amount of resistance in the forward direction and a finite breakdown voltage in the reverse direction, an ideal diode has zero resistance and infinite breakdown voltage. Additionally, a regular diode may have leakage current, while an ideal diode has none. However, in practical applications, an ideal diode is not possible to achieve and is only used as a theoretical model.

4. What are some applications of ideal diodes?

Ideal diodes have various applications in electronic circuits, including power supply protection, reverse current blocking, and voltage regulation. They are also commonly used in rectifiers, battery charging circuits, and solar panels to improve efficiency and prevent damage to components.

5. How can I solve problems involving ideal diodes?

Solving problems involving ideal diodes requires an understanding of basic circuit analysis and the characteristics of ideal diodes. Begin by drawing the circuit diagram and applying Kirchhoff's laws to determine the voltage and current at different points. Then, use the ideal diode equation and the diode characteristics to calculate the voltage drop and current through the diode. Finally, verify the results by checking the circuit's overall behavior and the diode's operating mode.