from a height of h = 2.0 m. It rebounds off a steel cylinder
of mass m2 = 0.45 kg which is supported by a light spring
of spring constant k = 1600 N m−1
, as shown in Fig. 22.
If the collision between the ball bearing and the cylinder is
elastic,
(i) what would be the speed of the cylinder immediately
after impact, and
(ii) what would be the maximum deflection of the spring?
You may find it helpful to use the ratio of the masses,
r =m2/m1
Relevant Equations
Energy Conservation
Spring potential = 1/2 kx^2
I am struggling to find correct approximation for the problem. Is momentum conserved at the immediate impact of... (1)
Can I ignore gravitational force and potential for the spring which is connected to ground and vertically upholding a mass . ( using equilibrium)
Screenshot_2024-01-29-20-06-32-156_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to make an assumption about the spring constant for the collision between the ball and the cylinder. I would take it as arbitrarily large. That means you can consider that bounce as happening in an arbitrarily short time, before the spring gets further compressed at all.

hdp said:
I am struggling to find correct approximation for the problem.

I think that may be because you are trying too hard. Read again the hints in the paper (unreadable in your image but quoted from the original at https://www.bpho.org.uk/Papers/R1/2021Nov_R1_S2.pdf):

Approximations and making a simple model are key to doing physics. Often we require linear behaviour in
our model, often associated with a small displacement from equilibrium, and also that the collision time is
short compared to any other motion of the system.

I like to think of this as (misquoting somebody) "everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

hdp said:
Is momentum conserved at the immediate impact of...

Why shouldn't it be? Would it be possible to answer part (i) if it wasn't?

hdp said:
Can I ignore gravitational force and potential for the spring which is connected to ground and vertically upholding a mass.

The question says the spring is light so what do you think? As you have no value for the mass of the spring would it be possible to answer the question if you couldn't ignore it?

1. How does the ball bearing's speed affect its bounce off the steel cylinder?

The ball bearing's speed will affect the angle at which it bounces off the steel cylinder. A higher speed will result in a more oblique angle of reflection, while a lower speed will result in a more perpendicular angle.

2. What role does the steel cylinder's surface play in the ball bearing's bounce?

The surface of the steel cylinder will impact the coefficient of restitution, which determines how much kinetic energy is retained during the bounce. A smoother surface will result in a higher coefficient of restitution, leading to a more energetic bounce.

3. How does the mass of the ball bearing affect its bounce off the steel cylinder?

The mass of the ball bearing will impact its momentum and kinetic energy during the bounce. A heavier ball bearing will have more momentum and energy, resulting in a more forceful bounce off the steel cylinder.

4. What factors influence the ball bearing's trajectory after bouncing off the steel cylinder?

The ball bearing's initial speed, angle of incidence, surface properties of the steel cylinder, and gravitational forces will all influence its trajectory after bouncing off the cylinder. These factors combine to determine the final path of the ball bearing.

5. How can we calculate the ball bearing's trajectory after bouncing off the steel cylinder?

To calculate the ball bearing's trajectory, we can use principles of physics such as conservation of momentum and energy. By considering the initial conditions of the ball bearing and the properties of the steel cylinder, we can predict the path of the ball bearing after the bounce.