Brown dwarfs and close binary systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a high mass brown dwarf in close orbit around a true star, which eventually climbs the Red Giant Branch. There are various types of binary systems observed, including ones where one star is engulfed by its companion, and some where a large companion may have gone supernova while the other star was still on the main sequence. Questions are raised about the possibility of a brown dwarf accreting matter from a red giant envelope and igniting fusion, and the potential outcomes of this scenario. However, it is noted that the answers would vary depending on specific parameters and that it is difficult to predict the exact outcome of two stars merging. The article on brown dwarfs is mentioned as a source of further information.
magic9mushroo
(I honestly don't know whether this is Intermediate or Advanced. I'm guessing the latter since I don't know the answers and I've done second year astrophysics, but maybe I'm just an idiot.)

Let's say you've got a high mass (~60 Jupiter masses) brown dwarf in relatively close orbit around a true star. Let's further say that it's an F or G star that eventually climbs the Red Giant Branch.

1) Can that actually happen, or is there some effect that forbids it?

If the brown dwarf is in a close enough orbit, it will presumably be engulfed by the expanding envelope of its companion.

2) Is a brown dwarf's gravity sufficient to accrete matter from a red giant envelope, or would it ablate?
3) Presumably the drag from the envelope would cause the brown dwarf's orbit to inspiral. Over what sort of timescale would that occur?
4) If the brown dwarf would, in fact, accrete, is it possible for that accretion to ignite fusion? Could it happen before the inspiral caused it to merge with the star's inner layers?
5) If it did ignite, what would the result be? Would it become a red dwarf star in its own right, or would it explode in a runaway reaction like that in a type-Ia supernova? Or would there be some other result?

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There's all sorts of binary systems which have been observed. There's two stars of roughly the same mass and spectral type; there's one giant and one smaller companion star; there's a normal star and either a white dwarf or neutron star in orbit around one another; just about any combination you can imagine. Some of these stars orbit so close that material from one star is transferred to the companion; some stars are so far apart that it may take decades to complete one orbit. It is possible for one star to be engulfed by its dying companion if they are orbiting close enough. In some binaries, a large companion may have gone supernova while the other star was still on the main sequence; that's one mechanism to get a neutron star orbiting a regular star.

A lot of the questions in your post cannot be answered in a general fashion. When two stars merge, it is unlikely that one or both will not be affected by this process. Remember, stars are just balls of hot gas. If you put a strong enough gravitational source near by one, its envelope can deform in extreme fashion.

A super Jupiter would still be massively out massede by any ordinary star. It would fare the worse in any close binary situation, It is difficult to imagine a scenario where it could accrete enough mass to self ignite.

SteamKing said:
There's all sorts of binary systems which have been observed. There's two stars of roughly the same mass and spectral type; there's one giant and one smaller companion star; there's a normal star and either a white dwarf or neutron star in orbit around one another; just about any combination you can imagine. Some of these stars orbit so close that material from one star is transferred to the companion; some stars are so far apart that it may take decades to complete one orbit. It is possible for one star to be engulfed by its dying companion if they are orbiting close enough. In some binaries, a large companion may have gone supernova while the other star was still on the main sequence; that's one mechanism to get a neutron star orbiting a regular star.

A lot of the questions in your post cannot be answered in a general fashion. When two stars merge, it is unlikely that one or both will not be affected by this process. Remember, stars are just balls of hot gas. If you put a strong enough gravitational source near by one, its envelope can deform in extreme fashion.

I am aware that answers will vary with parameters. That is why I gave the mass of the brown dwarf and the approximate mass of the primary. I am also aware that dense bodies can accrete matter from giant stars' expanded envelopes, but was unsure if a brown dwarf (being significantly less dense than a true compact stellar object such as a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole) was dense enough to do so.

But if you want more specifications, let's say the primary's a population II star of 1 solar mass and the orbit is 0.8 AU.

SteamKing said:
This article contains a lot os useful information about the various flavors of brown dwarf stars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_dwarf

I have read it already. It did not answer my question.

1. What is a brown dwarf?

A brown dwarf is a type of celestial object that falls in between the size of a planet and a star. It is too small to sustain nuclear fusion in its core, which is what defines a star, but it is also larger and hotter than a planet. Brown dwarfs emit infrared radiation and are often referred to as "failed stars".

2. How do brown dwarfs form?

Brown dwarfs form in a similar way to stars, through the gravitational collapse of a cloud of gas and dust. However, brown dwarfs do not have enough mass to reach the high temperatures and pressures needed to ignite nuclear fusion in their cores.

3. What is a close binary system?

A close binary system is a pair of stars that orbit each other closely, with a separation of less than a few astronomical units (AU). They are held together by their mutual gravitational attraction and can have a variety of orbital periods, from hours to years.

4. Can a brown dwarf be part of a binary system?

Yes, brown dwarfs can be part of a binary system, either with another brown dwarf or with a star. In fact, it is estimated that up to 50% of all brown dwarfs are part of binary or multiple star systems.

5. What can we learn from studying brown dwarfs and close binary systems?

Studying brown dwarfs and close binary systems can provide insights into the formation and evolution of stars and planets. They can also help us better understand the physical properties and behavior of these objects, as well as the processes that govern their interactions. Additionally, studying these systems can also aid in our search for exoplanets and potentially habitable worlds.