Brownian Motion: Martingale Property

In summary, the first question asks if there exists a function $T_r$ that is a martingale for the function $M_{t}=φ(X_{t})$. The second question asks what the function $T_r$ is used for.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hi!
I need some help at the following exercise...
Let \(\displaystyle B\) be a typical brownian motion with \(\displaystyle μ>0\) and \(\displaystyle x\) ε \(\displaystyle R\). \(\displaystyle X_{t}:=x+B_{t}+μt\), for each \(\displaystyle t>=0\), a brownian motion with velocity \(\displaystyle μ\) that starts at \(\displaystyle x\). For \(\displaystyle r\) ε \(\displaystyle R\), \(\displaystyle T_{r}\):=inf{\(\displaystyle s>=0:X_{s}=r\)} and \(\displaystyle φ(r):=exp(-2μr)\). Show that \(\displaystyle M_{t}:=φ(X_{t})\) for t>=0 is martingale.

Could you tell me the purpose of \(\displaystyle T_{r}\)??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

The definition of $T_r$ will be probably used latter, but it seems it's not needed to solve the first question. Did you manage to do it?

To show that Mt is martingale, I have to show that:
1. Mt is adapted to the filtration {Ft}t>=0
2. For every t>=0, E(|Mt|)<oo
3. E(Mt|Fs)=Ms, for every 0<=s<=t
Right?

For the property 2. what I've done until now is:

E(|e-2μ(x+Bt+μt|)=E(|e-2μ(x+Bt+Bs-Bs+μt)|)=E(|e-2μ(x+Bs)e-2μ(Bt-Bs)e-2\(\displaystyle μ^2\)t|)=e-2μ(x+Bs)E(|e-2μ(Bt-Bs)|)E(|e-2\(\displaystyle μ^2\)t|).

Since B is a typical brownian motion, is the mean value E(|e-2μ(Bt-Bs)|) equal to e0=1?

I don't understand why you put $e^{-2\mu(x+B_s)}$ outside the expectation.

To see that $E(|M_t|)$ is finite for each $t$, it's enough to show that $E(e^{-2\mu B_t})$ is finite. Note that $B_t$ is normally distributed, hence the term $e^{-2\mu x}$ in the computation of the expectation should not be problematic.

I put \(\displaystyle e^{-2μ(x+B_s)}\) outside the expectation, because I thought that since it has no t, it's like a constant...
And how can I show the property 3? :confused:

mathmari said:
I put \(\displaystyle e^{-2μ(x+B_s)}\) outside the expectation, because I thought that since it has no t, it's like a constant...
:confused:

The problem is that what you get is a random variable, whereas an expectation should be a (deterministic number).

mathmari said:
And how can I show the property 3?
You can use the idea you used for point 2 (it was not needed there, but it is now). Indeed, one can write $M_t=\exp(-2\mu(x+B_t+\mu t))=e^{-2\mu(x+\mu t) }\exp(-2\mu(B_t-B_s))\exp(-2\mu B_s)$. Computing the conditional expectation of this term goes like that: $\exp(-2\mu(B_t-B_s))$ is independent of $\mathcal F_s$ and $\exp(-2\mu B_s)$ is $\mathcal F_s$-measurable.

Ok... Thank you very much! ;)

What is Brownian Motion?

Brownian motion is a physical phenomenon in which particles in a fluid are constantly moving in a random fashion due to collisions with other particles. This motion was first observed by the botanist Robert Brown in 1827.

What is the Martingale Property in relation to Brownian Motion?

The Martingale Property is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a stochastic process, such as Brownian motion. It states that the expected value of the process at a future time is equal to its current value, given all the information available at the current time.

How is Brownian Motion related to the Martingale Property?

Brownian motion is a classic example of a stochastic process that exhibits the Martingale Property. This means that the expected value of the particle's position at any future time is equal to its current position, regardless of the previous path it has taken.

Why is the Martingale Property important in the study of Brownian Motion?

The Martingale Property is important because it allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of Brownian motion based on its current state. This property also has many practical applications in fields such as finance, statistics, and physics.

What are some other properties of Brownian Motion?

In addition to the Martingale Property, Brownian motion also exhibits properties such as self-similarity, which means that the pattern of its movement looks the same regardless of the time scale observed. It also has a Gaussian distribution of displacements, meaning that the probability of a particle's displacement is normally distributed around its current position.