Brushless DC Motor torque calculations?

In summary, Tommie Prinsloo is new to the forum and is searching for equations to calculate the torque of a 3 phase brushless dc motor. He is looking for any information or textbooks on this topic and has received helpful suggestions from fellow forum members. Some recommended resources include a drives manual, a knowledge base or literature links from Rockwell Automation, and a 2010 TI Motor Control Compendium. Tommie expresses his gratitude for the suggestions and mentions his location in Pretoria, South Africa.
TommiePrinsloo
Hi there guys and girls
I am new to this forum , so please have mercy.

I am searching for equations to calculate the torque of a 3 phase brushless dc motor.
Any info or textbooks on this maybe?

Thanks
Tommie Prinsloo

Engineering news on Phys.org
nice article I've added it to my archive

Thanks guys for the info.
I will go and study through it to see if i can find anything.
Appreciate
Tommie Prinsloo
Pretoria
South Africa

What is a Brushless DC Motor?

A Brushless DC Motor (BLDC) is an electric motor that uses electronically controlled commutation to power the motor's rotor. Unlike traditional DC motors, BLDC motors do not require brushes to transfer electrical current to the rotor, making them more efficient and durable.

How is torque calculated for a Brushless DC Motor?

To calculate the torque of a BLDC motor, we use the formula: Torque = Force x Distance. The force is the current flowing through the motor's windings, while the distance is the distance from the center of the rotor to the point of force application. This calculation can be more complicated for BLDC motors with multiple poles and phases.

What factors affect the torque output of a Brushless DC Motor?

The torque output of a BLDC motor can be affected by several factors, including the number of poles, the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the windings, and the speed of the motor. The torque can also be influenced by the design of the motor, such as the shape and size of the rotor and stator.

How do you increase the torque of a Brushless DC Motor?

There are several ways to increase the torque output of a BLDC motor. One option is to increase the current flowing through the windings, which will increase the force applied to the rotor. Another option is to increase the number of poles in the motor, which will increase the number of times the rotor is pulled towards the stator per revolution. Additionally, using stronger magnets or optimizing the motor's design can also increase its torque output.

What is the difference between rated torque and stall torque for a Brushless DC Motor?

The rated torque of a BLDC motor refers to the maximum continuous torque that the motor can produce without overheating. The stall torque, on the other hand, is the maximum torque the motor can produce before it stops rotating. This can happen if the motor is overloaded or if the current flowing through the windings is too high. It is important to consider both the rated and stall torque when selecting a BLDC motor for a specific application.