BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between engineering technology and traditional engineering programs, specifically in the field of aerospace engineering. The speaker is interested in hands-on work and has concerns about the high-level math involved in traditional engineering programs. They are also skeptical about the job prospects and academic standards in engineering technology. They are seeking more information about the job market and potential career paths for aerospace technologists. The conversation concludes with a mention of the availability of engineering technology programs at various schools.
aerohead_18
I've been looking into some AET and MET programs lately and trying to decide if it might be a viable major choice. I've been interested in aerospace engineering for a long time and always thought of that as my go-to college major, since I have a passion for just about anything with wings and/or a motor. But certain elements of AE don't appeal to me at all, especially the high-level math involved. Math is my weakest subject in school, and I have some concerns about being able to perform well in a math-intensive program. Additionally, I always prefer hands-on work to conceptual stuff, i.e. I'd rather be building a part than designing it. Seeing as most engineers seem to spend their careers in "desk jobs," it sounds to me like AE would probably fall into that category in most cases. ET seems to bridge the gap between the trades and engineering, so kind of like engineering with the benefit of picking up a tool every now and then.

That said, I'm a little skeptical of engineering technology in general. I don't know much about the field beyond the "hands-on engineering" generalization, but from what little I've read it sounds like the job prospects aren't great beyond the entry-level positions. Also, many of the ET programs I looked at didn't have very high academic standards (~3.5 GPA, <28 ACT, etc.), and I think on paper I would probably look more like an engineer than a technologist because my grades are quite a bit higher (~4.5 weighted GPA). I wouldn't want to end up in a degree that I was "too smart" for, if that's even possible.

If anyone has some more insight on engineering technology vs. engineering, I'd like to know more about it because there doesn't seem to be much about the two fields on PF. What kind of jobs do aerospace technologists usually have? What's the market looking like in terms of hiring prospects? How much mobility do aero or mechanical technologists have? At first glance ET sounds interesting because it appears to be a blend of conceptual and practical knowledge, which I think would suit me really well. But I'm still a sophomore in HS, so I still have plenty of time to look through all the options.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite a few, even many that don't have regular engineering departments. A google search turns up a lot of them.

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Aerospace Engineering Technology?

Aerospace Engineering is a broader field that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. Aerospace Engineering Technology is a more specialized field that emphasizes the practical and hands-on application of engineering principles in the aerospace industry.

2. What are the job opportunities for graduates with a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, aviation, and space exploration. They can also find employment in research and development, product design, and project management roles.

3. Can I become a licensed engineer with a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology?

Yes, in most states, graduates with a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology can pursue a Professional Engineer (PE) license. However, the requirements for licensure may vary, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the state in which you plan to work.

4. What skills do I need to be successful in a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology program?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for success in an Aerospace Engineering Technology program. Other important skills include attention to detail, critical thinking, and strong communication and teamwork abilities.

5. What are the core courses in a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology program?

The core courses in a BS in Aerospace Engineering Technology program typically include subjects such as aerodynamics, propulsion, structures and materials, aerospace systems design, and aircraft and spacecraft instrumentation. Students may also take courses in computer-aided design, flight mechanics, and space systems engineering.