BS in Chemical Engineering, MS in EE

In summary, it makes more sense to pursue a BS in Chemical Engineering and then go into graduate school for a MS or PhD in EE.
EngineerHead
Does it make sense to pursue a BS in Chemical Engineering, and then go into graduate school for a MS or PhD in EE? Or does that pathway make little sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
EngineerHead said:
Does it make sense to pursue a BS in Chemical Engineering, and then go into graduate school for a MS or PhD in EE? Or does that pathway make little sense.

Well what is your goal? Why would you purposely aim to study something for 4 years then change field completely for post-graduate? You would also be very limited in the EE things you could study at post-graduate being a chemical engineer.

I think if you studied a lot of electro chemistry you could probably do a lot of work involving fuel cell design for autos. By the way, I am a CHBE major at Georgia Tech, which I totally recommend as a major.

EngineerHead said:
Or does that pathway make little sense.

Pathway to where exactly?

Vanadium 50 said:
Pathway to where exactly?

I believe that he is referring to the pathway to his graduate school.

I'll be frank with you; if you want to be an EE then do EE in your undergraduate years. Now if you want more options, and you're not sure yet, I would say chemical engineering. Chemical Engineers can go into chemical engineering, bioengineering, biomolecular engineering, electrical engineering (might want to take a couple EE courses just to get the feel), Environmental engineering, engineering management, engineering planning, yadda yadda yadda. It would also be a lot easier to fill out your premed requirements than electrical engineering.

Look, I'm a damn hypocrite for saying this, but let's say you had a billion dollars. What would you want to do on a daily basis? Would you want to play golf every day? Would you want to sit around and watch tv everyday? Would you want to be engineering or seeing your patients? Whatever it is, take the classes that push you in that direction. If you don't know yet, like myself, I'd stick with engineering (that degree will open up a lot of options after school) and take your premed requirements just in case you want to go to med school.

haha sorry for parenting, I'm still a college student XD

Related to BS in Chemical Engineering, MS in EE

1. What is the difference between a BS in Chemical Engineering and an MS in EE?

A BS in Chemical Engineering focuses on the principles of chemistry and their application to industrial processes, while an MS in EE focuses on the principles of electrical engineering and their application to various electronic devices and systems.

2. Can I pursue a career in both chemical engineering and electrical engineering with this degree combination?

Yes, with a BS in Chemical Engineering and MS in EE, you can explore career opportunities in both fields. This combination of degrees provides a diverse skill set that is valuable in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, electronics, and more.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a BS in Chemical Engineering and MS in EE?

It typically takes 4 years to complete a BS in Chemical Engineering and an additional 2 years to complete an MS in EE. However, this can vary depending on the individual's course load and any potential transfer credits.

4. What are some common courses included in this degree combination?

Some common courses in a BS in Chemical Engineering and MS in EE program may include organic chemistry, thermodynamics, circuit analysis, digital systems, and control systems. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as biochemistry, nanotechnology, or power systems.

5. What types of research opportunities are available for students pursuing this degree combination?

There are various research opportunities available for students pursuing a BS in Chemical Engineering and MS in EE. Some common research areas may include renewable energy, drug delivery systems, nanotechnology, and biotechnology. Students may also have the opportunity to work on interdisciplinary projects that combine both chemical and electrical engineering principles.