Buck Converter (Step Down Chopper Derivation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Buck Converter and the error in equation 13.3. The participants also discuss the physical meaning of the equations and how to visualize them. The concept of energy storage and release in the inductor is explained and used to derive equation 13.4. The need for the average inductor voltage to be zero in steady state is also discussed.
jaus tail
Hi,
I'm studying Choppers and I'm struggling with derivation of Buck Converter.
upload_2018-1-3_10-44-20.png

As per equation 13.3 if I solve it ahead I get
Vs D T - Vo D T = - Vo T + Vo D T
Solving this ahead I get
Vs (D T ) = Vo (-T + DT + DT)
Vs (DT) = Vo(2DT - T)
Vs D = Vo (2D - 1)
Vo / Vs = D/(2D - 1)
Not sure how to go ahead from here to reach equation 13.4

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_10-37-27.png
    upload_2018-1-3_10-37-27.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 620
  • upload_2018-1-3_10-41-18.png
    upload_2018-1-3_10-41-18.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 519
  • upload_2018-1-3_10-44-20.png
    upload_2018-1-3_10-44-20.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,366
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an error in 13.3. There is no minus sign in front of the Vo on the right-hand side.

You can catch these kinds of errors by visualizing what the equations are telling us physically.

But the graph also has - Vo.
Physically area means integrating of V and t.

The areas are equal. You can sum them to zero, one contributing positive, the other contributing negative. If they are on opposite sides of the equal sign they will both share the same sign (otherwise they aren't equal).

the_emi_guy said:
If they are on opposite sides of the equal sign they will both share the same sign (otherwise they aren't equal).

This is what I don't understand. If they are on opposite side why will both share same sign. Negative Y-axis has negative numbers.
Other book said average voltage for inductor is zero and then they've derived for step down chopper. So I got that through that method.
Like:
V(L during storing) + V(L during releasing) = 0
So (Vs - Vo) Ton - Vo * Toff = 0
This gives derivation.

As I said in my first post, you need to see the physical meaning of these equations.

Try putting in real numbers: Say it is a buck regulator dropping 10V down to 1V. Thus Vs = +10V and Vo=+1V.
Where does that lead?

Likes jaus tail
Sorry I'm not getting it.
I think it can be
Energy store = energy released.
When energy is being stored(load) then input(current entering) is positive terminal. When energy is being released(source) then output(current leaving) is considered positive terminal (kinda like KVL convention)
Thus: (Vs - Vo)Ton = Vo(Toff)

But why V times T and why not V2? Energy is proportional to Voltage square divide by resistance times time.

So in steady state, the average inductor voltage is zero. Which means that the sum of the red area + the blue area is zero i.e. $$V_L = \frac{1}{T_s}\int_0^{T_s}v_L(t)dt = 0 $$
Solving the integral we get, which is easy if you look at the figure below:
$$\underbrace{(V_s-V_o)DT_s}_{\text{red area}}+\underbrace{(-V_0)(1-D)T_s}_{\text{blue area}} = 0$$
upload_2018-1-4_14-2-50.png
Then solving as you did in post #1 yields eq. 13.4.

So I am not sure why they included the minus sign in eq. 13.3 as the_emi_guy pointed out in post #2, other than causing confusion.
If you don't know why, the average inductor voltage in steady state has to be zero, look here:
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-inductors-follow-a-volt-second-balance-principle

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-4_14-2-50.png
    upload_2018-1-4_14-2-50.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 445
Likes jaus tail and the_emi_guy
Just a correction to my post #8, second equation, should be: $$\frac{1}{T_s}\left[(V_s-V_o)DT_s + (-V_o)(1-D)T_s\right]$$ and not $$(V_s-V_o)DT_s+ (-V_o)(1-D)T_s$$

Likes jaus tail
Thanks. Got it.

Likes Baarken

What is a Buck Converter?

A Buck Converter, also known as a Step Down Chopper, is an electronic circuit used to convert a higher voltage DC input into a lower voltage DC output. It is a type of DC-DC converter and is commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices.

How does a Buck Converter work?

A Buck Converter works by using a switch, typically a transistor, to rapidly turn the input voltage on and off. This creates a pulsed output that is then filtered to produce a stable lower voltage output. The amount of time the switch is on versus off determines the output voltage.

What are the advantages of using a Buck Converter?

There are several advantages to using a Buck Converter. Firstly, it is highly efficient, with very little energy being wasted as heat. Secondly, it is relatively simple and inexpensive to build compared to other types of DC-DC converters. Finally, it can handle high currents and produce a stable output even when the input voltage varies.

What are the main components of a Buck Converter?

The main components of a Buck Converter include a power source, a switch, an inductor, a diode, and a capacitor. Other components such as resistors and a control circuit may also be included depending on the specific design.

What are some common applications of Buck Converters?

Buck Converters are commonly used in electronic devices such as laptops, cell phones, and other portable devices that require a stable lower voltage. They are also used in power supplies for LED lights and in solar power systems to regulate the voltage from solar panels.