Build a Capacitor in 30 minutes

In summary, the speaker needs to build a capacitor using 10 square feet of aluminum foil, 10 square feet of saran wrap, paper, and tape in 30 minutes. They have researched and found that a rolled capacitor would be the best option, using foil as the conductor and saran wrap as the dielectric. They are unsure if using paper as the dielectric would be better and if there is a way to incorporate it into their design. They have decided on the rolled capacitor and have questions about the spacing between the foil and saran wrap to avoid arcing and if a paper roll could be used as a mandrel. The response is that a one inch border should be sufficient and paper could be used as an outer covering
kat5657585950
Hi! I have to build a capacitor out of the following materials: 10 square feet of aluminum foil, 10 square feet of saran wrap (polyvinyl chloride), several sheets of paper, and tape to put it all together. I will only have about 30 minutes to manufacture my design. I have been researching capacitors and so far the best one I have come across using my given materials is a rolled capacitor. Is this accurate? Or is there a better one I have not come across? For this rolled capacitor I would probably only use the foil as my conductor and the saran wrap as my dielectric because, to my knowledge, it has a much higher dielectric strength than paper. The reason I am second guessing my design is because it does not use one of my given materials, paper. Is there a way i could work this in? Or a different design that uses all of my materials? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have decided on the rolled capacitor, but now I have more questions. How much spacing should leave around the edges of the foil on the saran wrap to avoid arcing? Is one inch sufficient? Also, I saw something about using a nonconductor like glass or plastic as a mandrel to lay in the center and roll up in the capacitor. Would a paper roll work well as this? Thanks again!

One inch border should be fine. The plastic wrap would probably punch thru long before you reach a voltage to flashover two inches!
An additional way to use the paper is as an outer covering.

What materials do I need to build a capacitor in 30 minutes?

To build a capacitor, you will need two sheets of aluminum foil, a sheet of paper or cardboard, a dielectric material (such as wax paper or plastic wrap), scissors, and a battery or power supply.

How do I construct a capacitor in 30 minutes?

First, cut two sheets of aluminum foil into equal squares. Then, cut a sheet of paper or cardboard into a smaller square and place it between the two sheets of aluminum foil. Next, place the dielectric material on top of the paper or cardboard. Finally, connect the aluminum foil squares to a battery or power supply to complete the circuit.

What is the purpose of a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to regulate voltage, filter out unwanted frequencies, and store electricity for later use.

How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge between two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the capacitor can store energy in this field.

Can I build a capacitor in 30 minutes without any prior experience?

Yes, building a simple capacitor in 30 minutes is possible even without prior experience. However, it is important to handle the materials and power source safely and to follow instructions carefully to avoid any accidents. It may also be helpful to do some research and gather all necessary materials beforehand.