Building a cloud chamber for Science Fair

In summary, this student is trying to build a cloud chamber for a local science fair. He is having difficulty writing the procedure because he does not know what materials he will need. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.
Emmanoether
Hello physicists,

This is my first time on these forums, so I'm sorry if this isn't the right place. Feel free to move it if it isn't.

I am building a small cloud chamber to detect particles resulting from the decay of pions in the atmosphere for a local science fair. I hope to see electron and muons, as those are the products I predicted from research of particle decay. I'd like to test the effects of observing time on the number of particles detected.

I have asked my physics teacher; she does not have very much information about building a cloud chamber, only the theory behind its functioning. I asked the chemistry teacher at my high school, but she does not believe that these particles could be detected. In order to meet a deadline for my project, I went ahead with background research.

I am now attempting to describe an experimental methodology, but I am having trouble writing the procedure because I don't know what materials I will need. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated, and I will acknowledge you in my presentation. Don't worry about offending me if the project won't work; I'd rather find out now than in front of the judges! I can post my bibliography if that would be useful.

~Emmanoether

Physics news on Phys.org
Building a cloud chamber is certainly possible, and google finds many pages with instructions, including one from CERN.
In addition to muons from cosmic rays (you won't see other particles from them in a relevant rate), you'll see particles from natural radioactivity in and around the cloud chamber.

mfb said:
Building a cloud chamber is certainly possible, and google finds many pages with instructions, including one from CERN.
In addition to muons from cosmic rays (you won't see other particles from them in a relevant rate), you'll see particles from natural radioactivity in and around the cloud chamber.

Thank you very much for your quick response. I will continue research and post again if I have another question.

1. What materials do I need to build a cloud chamber?

To build a cloud chamber, you will need a clear plastic or glass container with a lid, dry ice, isopropyl alcohol, a small flashlight or laser pointer, and a black piece of paper or cardboard.

2. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated environment, meaning the air inside the container is cooled below its dew point. When an ionizing particle, such as a cosmic ray, passes through the chamber, it creates a trail of ions. The alcohol vapor then condenses on these ions, creating a visible cloud track.

3. Can I use something other than dry ice and isopropyl alcohol?

While dry ice and isopropyl alcohol are the most commonly used materials for building a cloud chamber, you can also use other substances such as acetone, ethyl alcohol, or even dry ice alone. However, the results may vary and it may take some experimentation to find the best combination for your cloud chamber.

4. How do I make sure my cloud chamber is safe to use?

It is important to handle dry ice and isopropyl alcohol with caution, as they can pose safety risks if not handled properly. Make sure to wear protective gloves and goggles while handling these materials, and always work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to have adult supervision if using these materials for a science fair project.

5. Can I use a cloud chamber to detect radiation?

Yes, a cloud chamber can be used to detect radiation. However, it is not a highly sensitive instrument and may only detect high-energy particles such as cosmic rays. It is not recommended to use a cloud chamber as a reliable method for detecting radiation in a scientific setting.