Building a Conductivity Tester with LED Indicators for Chemistry Class

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of an invention for an engineering class - a conductivity tester. The challenge is to design a circuit that can accurately detect small differences in the levels of salinity in a liquid. The proposed solution is to use an Op Amp voltage level detector and possibly collaborate with another student who is working on a similar project involving wheatstone bridges and strain gauges. The final circuit must be easy to handle for their chemistry class.
nemrehs1
Okay...in my engineering class we have to build an invention. My partner and I are building a conductivity tester. We are using three levels of LED indicators, to tell how conductive the liquid is. I don't want an LED to light up when it isn't supposed to, so I am trying to use an Op Amp voltage level detector, so the voltage has to reach a certain point for the LED to light up. But the problem is, the different levels of salinity are so small there is no visual difference in the LED. I need to redesign a circuit that indicates the small differences in the levels of salinity. These circuits are being built for a chemistry class, so the circuit has to be easy to handle. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to figure out the actual range of conductance in which you are interested, then null out anything below that range and amplify the rest. Some one else on this list is asking about wheatstone bridges and strain gauges, and your application is very similar. Maybe you can help each other...

Related to Building a Conductivity Tester with LED Indicators for Chemistry Class

1. What is a conductivity tester?

A conductivity tester is a scientific instrument used to measure the ability of a substance to conduct electricity. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics experiments to determine the level of conductivity of various materials.

2. How does a conductivity tester work?

A conductivity tester works by passing an electrical current through a substance and measuring the resistance to that current. The more conductive a substance is, the lower the resistance will be and vice versa. This resistance is then converted into a numerical value that indicates the level of conductivity.

3. What are the different types of conductivity testers?

There are two main types of conductivity testers: handheld and benchtop. Handheld testers are portable and typically have a single probe for testing small samples. Benchtop testers are larger and have multiple probes for testing larger samples or multiple samples at once. There are also specific types of conductivity testers for different industries, such as soil conductivity testers for agricultural use.

4. How do I use a conductivity tester?

To use a conductivity tester, first make sure it is calibrated according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then, dip the probes into the substance being tested and wait for the numerical value to stabilize. Record the value and compare it to known standards to determine the level of conductivity.

5. What are some common applications of conductivity testers?

Conductivity testers are used in a variety of industries and applications, including water quality testing, chemical analysis, and soil testing. They are also used in educational settings for science experiments and demonstrations. Additionally, conductivity testers are commonly used in quality control and research laboratories to ensure the consistency and purity of materials.