Can I Use a Larger Power Bank for My LED Strip to Extend Its Battery Life?

In summary, the speaker has a 4.5v LED strip with 14.5 watts and unknown amp draw, powered by 3 AA batteries. They want to switch to a power bank and tried a 2200mAh 5v 1A output but it only lasted 45 minutes. They are wondering if they can use a larger battery of 5500mAh and 2.1A output to make it last longer. They also question if the old battery may have lost its power or if they were not getting enough amps or voltage. They are seeking advice on how to power the strip for several hours.
airstrat
I have a 4.5v LED strip 14.5watts (unknown amp draw; maybe 3amp) 30 LED 5050 per meter that runs off 3 AA Alkaline batteries. It runs fine for several hours (with the AAs) which is great but Id like to hook it up to a small power bank. I pulled out an old old power bank of 2200mAh 5v 1A output that's been sitting for some time without a charge so I charged it up for about 3 hours and then I spliced some wires of a USB connector and connected it to the strip light which ran for about 45 minutes before the lights went out.

It worked for a little bit but my main question is that can I hook up a larger battery of 5500mAh that outputs 2.1A 5v to the strip to make it last longer; looking for several hours of power before it shuts off. The battery I used was so old maybe it lost some its 'magic" over time sitting in the drawer or because I am not getting the amps needed across the LEDs or maybe I was loosing voltage as the juice ran out. I'm not a pro at electrical stuff but I am a quick learner and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
james

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the strip really is 4.5 V and 14.5 W, then you need a 3.22 A supply. I'd be concerned that 5 V would stress the LEDs. You will need 3222 mAh @ 4.5 V for each hour of use. So around 10,000 mAh for 3 hours.

1. What is a power bank for LED strip?

A power bank for LED strip is a portable device that can store electrical energy and then release it to power LED strips. It allows users to use LED strips without being connected to a power outlet.

2. How does a power bank for LED strip work?

A power bank for LED strip contains a battery that can be charged using a power source. The battery then stores the energy and can be used to power the LED strip when needed. Some power banks also have additional features such as multiple USB ports or wireless charging.

3. How long does a power bank for LED strip last?

The duration of a power bank for LED strip depends on the capacity of the battery and the power consumption of the LED strip. Generally, a power bank can last anywhere from a few hours to several days, depending on these factors.

4. Can a power bank for LED strip be used for other devices?

Yes, most power banks for LED strip come with multiple USB ports, making them compatible with a variety of devices such as smartphones, tablets, and other electronic devices. Some power banks also have wireless charging capabilities, making them even more versatile.

5. How do I choose the right power bank for my LED strip?

When choosing a power bank for LED strip, consider the capacity (mAh), output voltage and amperage, and the type of connector needed for your LED strip. It is also essential to check the compatibility of the power bank with your LED strip. Lastly, consider the additional features and the price point to find the right power bank for your needs.