Building a device which will climb a length of string/wire

In summary: You'll need to devise some way to make the system self-supporting, or mount it on a sturdy support. Inputs welcome!In summary, the author is looking for a way to power a device that climbs a length of string without any support from above. He has considered using two pieces of gears secured onto the string with rubber bands tieing the middles of the gears together. and then, wind the middle part of the gears with strings and attach a mass to the strings. when the mass is allowed to drop, it will give the gears rotational energy and climb up the string, using frictional forces.
yuanisgay
Hey guys,

I need to build a simple device that climbs a length of string (about 2 metres) without any support from above, and with energy from only the descend of a 200g mass. Speed is of importance.

I have considered using two pieces of gears secured onto the string with rubber bands tieing the middles of the gears together. and then, wind the middle part of the gears with strings and attach a mass to the strings. when the mass is allowed to drop, it will give the gears rotational energy and climb up the string, using frictional forces.

I am wondering if this could work? How can I improve it if it does, and how can I change it if it doesn't?

New ideas are also welcome!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to elevate something with the weight of a mass then you need to make sure the the force are balanced, in the sense that the kinetic energy of the falling mass must be enough to elevate the mass upwards. Without this precondition your mechanism will simply not work. After that, i must gears involve additional work regarding frictions and multiplication ratios.

If you have all this worked out can you give us some more specifics, like mass of the climber, what kind of wire etc

Depends, if this is about the UBC contest, it is over and done with.

If there is some other contest in mind... The centre of mass of the system must head downwards, making gravitational potential energy available to be converted into kinetic energy and overcome frictional losses in your gears, bearings and other bits.

A light part climbs up while the mass drops. You can easily calculate the maximum mass of the light climbing part by conservation of gravitational potential energy.

Leave a message if this contest is still a going concern.

Look at how a differential chain hoist works. A 200-g weight descending 4 meters can easily power a device that climbs 2 meters of string.

I think this is a very interesting and creative project idea. The concept you have described could potentially work, but it would be important to consider the specific materials and dimensions of the gears and strings in order to ensure that they can withstand the weight and movement of the mass. Additionally, it would be important to test and adjust the tension of the rubber bands to ensure that they provide enough force for the gears to rotate smoothly.

To improve this design, you could consider using a pulley system to increase the mechanical advantage and make the climbing process more efficient. You could also experiment with different types of gears and materials to find the most effective combination for your device. Additionally, it may be helpful to incorporate a braking mechanism to control the speed and prevent the device from slipping back down the string.

If this design does not work, I would recommend exploring other methods of converting the potential energy of the descending mass into rotational energy for the gears. This could include using a motor or spring mechanism. It would also be beneficial to research similar devices and see how they operate in order to gain inspiration and ideas for your own design.

Overall, I think this is a great project idea and I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different designs and materials. Keep in mind the principles of physics and mechanics as you develop your device, and don't be afraid to try new ideas and make adjustments along the way. Good luck with your project!

1. How does the device climb on the string/wire?

The device utilizes a series of small, gripping mechanisms that move in a coordinated manner to create a climbing motion along the string/wire.

2. What materials are needed to build the climbing device?

The materials needed include a lightweight frame, small motors or actuators, gripping mechanisms, and a power source such as batteries or a small motor.

3. Can the device climb on different types of string/wire?

Yes, as long as the string/wire is strong enough to support the weight of the device and has enough friction for the gripping mechanisms to hold onto.

4. How is the device controlled?

The device can be controlled through a remote control or programmed with specific instructions to climb along the string/wire.

5. What are the potential applications for this device?

This device could be used for tasks such as inspecting hard-to-reach areas, performing repairs or maintenance on structures, or even for entertainment purposes such as in a toy or game.