Building a linear accelerator -- radiation shielding, O2-,

MasterIn summary, the conversation was about the topic of genetic engineering and the potential use of heavy ions and ionizing radiation in creating mutations. The individual was curious about using a particle accelerator to create heavy ions and then using them on pollen to see if it would result in a double stranded break. They also mentioned the idea of using uvc to induce pyrimidine dimers in pollen, but were unsure if it would be effective. The suggestion was made to seek education from a qualified academic institution and to be aware of the potential dangers of experimenting with these methods.
wescpectralself
So, I have no education in this field.

I've really been into mutant breeding and crisper plasmid based genetic engineering.

I've read that heavy ions create a greater number of mutagens than electron magnetic radiation such as deep uvc.

lately particle accelerators have been on my mind.
I'm curious could I run fly back transformer through a ballast, then to an electron gun from a crt-tv ?
then pass said electrons through an accelerator tube powered by a microwave magnetron?

could I also fill said tube with oxygen and create an oxygen anion -2 electrons?

oxygen because of its 15.99 atomic weight making it create a heavy ion.

my idea would be to slam these anions into a pollen specimen and see if i can create a double stranded break.-- so is this ionizing radiation since it doesn't run off photons?

what kind of shielding would it need?

could you make a ionic compound barrier ?

my other thought in mutant breeding is much easier just subject the pollen to uvc (254nm) making pyrimidine dimers. but I am afraid it would be a waste of time, since polmerase might not correct the lesions in transcription or replication.

well educate me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion here is to go back and learn more about Genetic Engineering from a qualified academic institution to really learn what we know and then you can speculate from there. Its a lot like wanting to reach the top of a mountain by walking straight ahead, experienced guides will tell that just won't work that instead you must travel the well worn routes that lead to the top and that you must be prepared for any eventuality during your journey and back.

Some good resources to help you make this journey would be:
- Khan Academy videos on BIology and Genetics
- Openstax books on Biology

Keep your question in mind as you read and see if you can find answers to it that make sense.

However if this question pertains to a science fiction story then perhaps reading Orson Scott Card's excellent book on world building and character creation for science fiction and fantasy worlds will help you:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1599631407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Since we have exhausted our knowledge in this area, we are closing this thread.

Lastly, please be aware that some of the experimental stuff you have mentioned can be very dangerous to perform and could result in serious injury or death.

Take care,
Jedi

1. How does radiation shielding work in a linear accelerator?

Radiation shielding in a linear accelerator works by using thick layers of dense materials, such as lead or concrete, to absorb and block the high-energy radiation produced by the accelerator. The shielding is designed to protect both the surrounding environment and the individuals operating the accelerator from potential harm.

2. What materials are commonly used for radiation shielding in a linear accelerator?

The most common materials used for radiation shielding in a linear accelerator are lead and concrete. Lead is a dense metal that is particularly effective at absorbing radiation, while concrete is a cost-effective and readily available material that also provides good shielding properties.

3. How thick should the radiation shielding be in a linear accelerator?

The thickness of the radiation shielding in a linear accelerator depends on the type and energy of radiation being produced, as well as the distance from the source. Generally, the shielding should be thick enough to reduce the radiation levels to safe levels for surrounding areas and personnel. Specific regulations and guidelines should be followed when determining the appropriate shielding thickness.

4. How is O2- used in a linear accelerator?

O2- (oxygen ions) can be used in a linear accelerator to produce ion beams for medical and scientific purposes. In this process, the oxygen ions are accelerated and directed towards a target material, causing it to emit X-rays or other forms of radiation. O2- is also commonly used as a source of ions for ion implantation, a process used in the semiconductor industry.

5. What are the potential hazards of working with a linear accelerator?

The main hazards associated with working with a linear accelerator are exposure to high-energy radiation and the risk of electrical shock. Proper training and safety protocols should be followed to minimize these risks. Additionally, the handling and disposal of radioactive materials used in the accelerator should be carefully managed to prevent contamination and exposure to radiation.