Building a mousetrap car for my engineering class -- Help please

In summary, the person is seeking help with their car's back wheel which will spin in the air but not on the ground. They have provided details about the car's wheels, bearings, and lever arm, and are looking for possible solutions. They have also been asked to upload pictures for further assistance. One suggestion is that the bearings may not be aligned properly with the axle. The person is also asked to try pushing the car forward.
unknown5174
Summary:: My back wheel spins when in the air, but won't when on the ground, help!

My car has two four inch wood wheels on the front and a 12 inch wood wheel on the back, they are securely attached to the axel and I have 1/2 inch ball bearings to connect the axel to the frame. My lever arm is about 18 inches long. I have scoured the internet for an answer but I just can't seem to find why it won't spin while on the ground.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you post some pictures? Use the "Attach files" link at the bottom of the Edit window to upload JPEG or PDF files.

Welcome!
Could each of the bearings be not in perfect alignment with the axle?
What if you slightly push the car forward?

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and berkeman

1. How do I choose the best materials for my mousetrap car?

When choosing materials for your mousetrap car, it's important to consider the weight, strength, and durability of each component. For example, lightweight materials like balsa wood or plastic can help reduce the overall weight of the car, while stronger materials like metal or carbon fiber can provide more stability and support. It's also important to test and experiment with different materials to see which ones work best for your specific design.

2. What is the best way to attach the mousetrap to the car?

The best way to attach the mousetrap to your car will depend on your design and materials. Some common methods include using hot glue, rubber bands, or small screws to secure the mousetrap to the frame of the car. It's important to make sure the mousetrap is securely attached and aligned with the wheels to ensure maximum power and efficiency.

3. How can I increase the speed and distance of my mousetrap car?

There are several ways to increase the speed and distance of your mousetrap car. One method is to reduce the weight of the car by using lightweight materials and eliminating any unnecessary components. You can also adjust the placement of the wheels to improve the car's balance and reduce friction. Additionally, experimenting with different types of mousetraps and adjusting the tension can also impact the car's speed and distance.

4. How can I improve the design of my mousetrap car?

Improving the design of your mousetrap car can involve making small adjustments or completely redesigning the car. Some ways to improve the design include reducing weight, improving aerodynamics, and using more efficient materials. You can also research and study different types of mousetrap car designs to get inspiration and ideas for your own design.

5. How do I test and troubleshoot my mousetrap car?

Testing and troubleshooting your mousetrap car is an important part of the design process. Start by setting up a test track and measuring the distance your car travels. If your car is not performing as expected, you can troubleshoot by checking for any loose or broken parts, adjusting the tension of the mousetrap, and making any necessary adjustments to the design. It's also helpful to keep a record of your tests and any changes you make to track your progress and make improvements.