Building an air cannon that shoots a wad of paper

In summary, an air cannon works by using compressed air to shoot a projectile, such as a wad of paper, out of a tube. To build one, you will need a PVC pipe, a valve, an air compressor or hand pump, a trigger mechanism, and some glue or tape. To assemble the cannon, you will need to cut the PVC pipe, attach the valve and trigger mechanism, and connect the air compressor or hand pump. While using the air cannon, it is important to follow safety precautions and never aim it at people or living things. To improve its distance and accuracy, you can adjust the air pressure, use a longer or wider tube, experiment with different projectiles, and add a sight or scope for aiming. However
MechE1
We are building an air cannon that shoots a wad of paper. I know the volume of the tank, the pressure of the tank, the size of the barrel, and the weight of the object. I need to know how to solve for initial velocity given this information. I will use the Vi to find the estimated distance.

Weight 4.5 grams
Max Pressure = 150 PSI
Tank Volume = 1.25 liters
Barrel Diameter = 1 inch

Do I need more information?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Barrel length.

1. How does an air cannon work?

An air cannon works by using compressed air to shoot a projectile, in this case a wad of paper, out of a tube. The compressed air is released through a valve, creating a burst of energy that propels the projectile forward.

2. What materials do I need to build an air cannon that shoots a wad of paper?

You will need a PVC pipe or other similar tube, a valve, an air compressor or hand pump, a trigger mechanism, and some glue or tape to put it all together. You may also want to have some paper to use as projectiles.

3. How do I assemble the air cannon?

First, cut the PVC pipe to your desired length. Then, attach the valve to one end of the pipe using glue or tape. Next, attach the trigger mechanism to the other end of the pipe. Finally, connect the air compressor or hand pump to the valve and your air cannon is ready to use!

4. Is it safe to use an air cannon that shoots a wad of paper?

As with any type of projectile launcher, it is important to use caution and follow proper safety precautions when using an air cannon. Make sure to aim the cannon away from people and fragile objects, and never shoot it at anyone or anything living.

5. How can I improve the distance and accuracy of my air cannon?

There are a few ways to improve the distance and accuracy of your air cannon. You can try adjusting the amount of air pressure in the cannon, using a longer or wider tube, or experimenting with different types of projectiles. You may also want to add a sight or scope to help with aiming. However, always remember to prioritize safety over distance and accuracy.