Calculating Pressure and Volume for an Air Cannon Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's difficulty with their Air Cannon Project and their request for help in determining the necessary tank pressure and volume to project a 1.4kg mass to 83m/s. It is mentioned that the barrel the mass will travel down is 4 meters long and 6 inches in diameter. Questions are posed regarding the connection of the air tank to the barrel and the type of valve to be used. Suggestions are made to start with a one square foot tank and six and a half bar, and it is noted that this may be a fun project or a homework assignment.
RyanDM
Morning all,

I am working on a Air Cannon Project and have hit a stumbling block.

I am trying to work out what tank pressure and volume I would need to project a 1.4kg mass to 83m/s when it leaves the barrel.

The barrel the mass will travel down is 4 meters long and 6inch in diameter, would anyone be able to help?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The flow will be limited by restriction.
How will you connect the air tank to the barrel?
What valve will you use?

Well that's six and a half square feet of barrel you need to fill just to get your missile to fall out of the end
So... Start with a one square foot tank six and a half bar and go up
That's the fun way
If this is not for fun then it's proly homework

1. How do I calculate the pressure of an air cannon tank?

To calculate the pressure of an air cannon tank, you will need to know the volume of the tank (in cubic inches or cubic feet) and the number of pounds per square inch (psi) that the air is being compressed to. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. In this case, the force is the weight of the air inside the tank, and the area is the internal volume of the tank.

2. What is the ideal pressure for an air cannon tank?

The ideal pressure for an air cannon tank will depend on several factors, including the type and size of the projectile being launched, the desired distance and trajectory, and the strength and safety of the tank itself. It is generally recommended to start with a lower pressure and gradually increase it until the desired results are achieved, while also ensuring that the tank is able to handle the pressure without risking damage or explosion.

3. How do I determine the volume of an air cannon tank?

The volume of an air cannon tank can be found by measuring the internal dimensions of the tank and using the formula V = lwh, where V is volume, l is length, w is width, and h is height. Alternatively, if the tank is cylindrical in shape, the formula V = πr²h can be used, where π is pi, r is the radius, and h is the height.

4. Can I use any type of air for an air cannon tank?

The type of air used for an air cannon tank will depend on the design and purpose of the cannon. Compressed air, carbon dioxide, and even propane can be used as propellants, but it is important to carefully consider the safety and performance implications of each option. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the air being used is clean and free of contaminants to prevent damage to the tank or the projectile being launched.

5. How can I increase the pressure and volume of an air cannon tank?

The pressure and volume of an air cannon tank can be increased by adding more air to the tank or by compressing the existing air to a higher pressure. This can be achieved by using a larger air compressor or by modifying the design of the tank to increase its internal volume. It is important to ensure that the tank is able to withstand the increased pressure without risking damage or explosion. It is also important to consider the limitations and regulations for air pressure and volume in your area when making modifications to an air cannon tank.