Building an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch

Cavidex
TL;DR Summary
Help determining amps in an electrolysis cell
I'm a young student and I'm building an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch. I want to limit the current used by the cell so that it doesn't break my bridge rectifier by drawing too much current. I want to know how big do my electrodes need to be to draw around 140A. For the anode I'm going to use a plate of 316L steel and the water will contain NaOH.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure you don't want to buy a commercial unit? They are available starting at couple hundred dollars, current-limiting is built in.

Likes Vanadium 50
Bystander said:
Sure you don't want to buy a commercial unit? They are available starting at couple hundred dollars, current-limiting is built in.
I'm just doing this for fun and I don't have money to use like this

Forum rules require that "dangerous activities" not be encouraged; you have not been a member long enough that anyone knows whether you know........

Nothing personal.

Likes DaveE, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Bystander said:
Forum rules require that "dangerous activities" not be encouraged; you have not been a member long enough that anyone knows whether you know........

Nothing personal.
They need to specify what is considered dangerous tho. Even getting out of the bed is cause you might fall. Plus you wouldn't be encouraging you would just help to make it safer cause I'm still gonna make. Lastly I don't think that building a cell like this is dangerous if you are able to get your hands on everything needed. How am I supposed to ask for help if I don't know anyone with experience?

Cavidex said:
They need to specify what is considered dangerous tho. Even getting out of the bed is cause you might fall. Plus you wouldn't be encouraging you would just help to make it safer cause I'm still gonna make. Lastly I don't think that building a cell like this is dangerous if you are able to get your hands on everything needed. How am I supposed to ask for help if I don't know anyone with experience?
From: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited ...

Likes Bystander
Cavidex said:
TL;DR Summary: Help determining amps in an electrolysis cell

water will contain NaOH.
This/lye/caustic/corrosive equals "dangerous (among other things)."

Likes dlgoff
Bystander said:
This/lye/caustic/corrosive equals "dangerous (among other things)."
Then where should I ask my question?(For me lye isn't even too dangerous since I know how to manage it)

Cavidex said:
For me lye isn't even too dangerous since I know how to manage it
From:https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/env... concentrations,lead to permanent lung damage.
Contact with very high concentrations of sodium hydroxide can cause severe burns to the eyes, skin, digestive system or lungs, resulting in permanent damage or death. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of sodium hydroxide vapor can lead to permanent lung damage.

Cavidex said:
(For me lye isn't even too dangerous since I know how to manage it)
However, we do NOT know you well enough to share YOUR confidence in yourself; couple months, meaningful posts on other topics, things may change.

Bystander said:
However, we do NOT know you well enough to share YOUR confidence in yourself; couple months, meaningful posts on other topics, things may change.
Well I'm probably never gonna use this platform again thanks for your time

• Sad
Likes dlgoff
As has been mentioned, we know nothing about you or your level of experience in the many aspects of this project. Also, please keep in mind that even if you are a very experienced person (which I doubt), our advice to you could be read by an inexperienced clueless person in the future and used to hurt themselves trying to duplicate the project.

Cavidex said:
How am I supposed to ask for help if I don't know anyone with experience?
You are not trying hard enough. Almost always the best way to proceed on such a project is to find a local Mentor who can help you in-person and who can understand your level of experience in the various aspects of the project. Please try harder to find that local Mentor, instead of trying to find advice on the Internet (where we can never know your level of experience).

Thread is done.

Likes dlgoff, Rive, Bystander and 2 others

1. What materials do I need to build an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch?

To build an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch, you will need a container, two electrodes (usually made of stainless steel or titanium), a power source (such as a battery or power supply), distilled water, and an electrolyte (such as baking soda or potassium hydroxide).

2. How does an electrolysis cell work?

An electrolysis cell uses electricity to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas. When an electric current is passed through the water, the hydrogen ions (H+) are attracted to the negative electrode (cathode) and the oxygen ions (O2-) are attracted to the positive electrode (anode). This process is known as electrolysis.

3. Can I use tap water for my electrolysis cell?

No, tap water contains impurities that can interfere with the electrolysis process and damage the electrodes. It is recommended to use distilled water, which is free of impurities, for optimal results.

4. How much hydrogen gas can I produce with an electrolysis cell?

The amount of hydrogen gas produced by an electrolysis cell depends on the size of the cell, the amount of electricity used, and the purity of the water and electrolyte. On average, a small electrolysis cell can produce around 1-2 liters of hydrogen gas per minute.

5. Is it safe to use an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch?

When built and used correctly, an electrolysis cell for a HHO torch can be safe. However, it is important to take proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and following safety guidelines, when handling the cell and the hydrogen gas it produces. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the cell to ensure its safe operation.