Building comparator from discrete components?

In summary, the conversation is about someone interested in building a breadboard version of the simplest comparator using transistors and resistors. They are looking for a simpler comparator to understand before tackling the LM393. A suggestion is made to look at the differential amplifier circuit in the datasheet for reference. The person is grateful for the suggestion.
mishima
Hi, I'm interested in building a breadboard version of the simplest comparator using transistors and resistors. Ultimately I'd like to understand the LM393 but looking at the datasheet schematic, it seems quite complicated. I was hoping there was a simpler comparator I could mimic to start out with. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like how about this for the 139, it seems more doable/understandable for my skill level:

comp139.jpg

Is there something even simpler? Or is anything in this circuit not necessary for understanding the comparator action?

A comparator is based on a differential amplifier. See Q10 and Q13. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/diffamp.html

Thanks, that's just what I needed!

Hi there,

Building a comparator from discrete components is definitely possible and can be a great learning experience for understanding the inner workings of an integrated comparator like the LM393. However, it is important to note that the LM393 is designed to be a highly optimized and efficient comparator, so replicating its functionality with discrete components may not be as straightforward or efficient.

That being said, there are some basic comparator circuits that you can start with, such as the single transistor comparator or the op-amp comparator. These circuits use fewer components and can help you understand the basic principles of comparing and amplifying signals.

However, if your ultimate goal is to understand the LM393, I would recommend studying its datasheet and schematic in more detail. It may seem complicated at first, but breaking it down and understanding each component's purpose can be a valuable learning experience. You can also try simulating the circuit using software like LTSpice to get a better understanding of its behavior.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a comparator and how does it work?

A comparator is an electronic device that compares the input voltage to a reference voltage and outputs a signal indicating whether the input voltage is higher or lower than the reference voltage. It typically consists of an operational amplifier, feedback resistor, and a reference voltage source.

2. What components are needed to build a comparator?

To build a comparator, you will need an operational amplifier, a feedback resistor, and a reference voltage source. You may also need additional resistors and capacitors for stability and filtering.

3. How do I choose the right components for my comparator?

The choice of components for a comparator depends on the desired specifications such as input voltage range, response time, and noise level. It is important to select components that can handle the input and output voltage levels and have the appropriate speed and accuracy for your application.

4. Can I use discrete components to build a comparator instead of an integrated circuit?

Yes, it is possible to build a comparator using discrete components rather than an integrated circuit. This may be necessary if the desired specifications are not available in an integrated circuit or if you prefer to have more control over the design.

5. Are there any common issues when building a comparator from discrete components?

One common issue when building a comparator from discrete components is noise. It is important to properly select and place components to minimize noise in the circuit. Another issue is stability, which can be improved by adding a capacitor in the feedback loop or adjusting the feedback resistor values.