Building Converters using Logical Gates for 4-bit Inputs

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of building converters using logical gates and provides examples such as converting from EXCES3 to BCD or GRAY to BCD. The individual is seeking guidance on which logical gates to use to achieve the desired output. The conversation also mentions the use of truth tables and the concept of packed BCD and Karnaugh maps.
alexmath

Homework Statement

I have to build some converters (only for 4 bits) and i didn't understand how. How do i proceed? Which logical gates combined in such a way give me the y3y2y1y0 answer for x3x2x1x0?
For example, build a coverter from EXCES3 to BCD, or from GRAY TO BCD, or C1 complement to C2 using logical gates (AND,OR,XOR,NAND,etc.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i can make the truth table for x3x2x1x0.
Thank you!

Attachments

• ha.PNG
    ha.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a logic gate?

A logic gate is a fundamental building block of digital circuitry that performs a logical operation on one or more binary inputs and produces a single binary output. It is represented by a symbol and a truth table that shows the relationship between the input and output values.

2. How do logic gates work?

Logic gates operate by using transistors to control the flow of electricity through the circuit. Each gate has a specific function, such as AND, OR, or NOT, and it evaluates the inputs and generates an output based on its logic. The output can then be used as an input for another gate or circuit.

3. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a mathematical table that displays the output of a logic gate for all possible combinations of input values. It shows the logical relationship between the inputs and outputs, and it can be used to verify the correctness of a logic gate or circuit.

4. What is the purpose of a logic gate converter?

A logic gate converter is used to convert between different logic gate types, such as from NAND to NOR or from AND to OR. This is helpful when designing complex circuits that require different types of gates to achieve the desired logic.

5. Can logic gates be used in real-world applications?

Yes, logic gates are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including computer processors, digital clocks, calculators, traffic lights, and more. They are essential for processing and manipulating digital signals and are a crucial component of modern technology.