Building infinity corrected microscope from non-infinity corrected objective

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of non-infinity corrected objectives in infinity corrected microscopes and the possibility of building an infinity corrected microscope from scratch using non-infinity corrected objectives. The benefits of infinity-corrected microscopes are also mentioned, such as maintaining focus when inserting or removing optical components and simpler lens designs. The question is raised about the performance of non-infinity corrected objectives when placed in an infinity-corrected setup, and it is suggested that there may be a degradation in image quality and issues with distortion and field curvature. References to microscope design books are also requested.
anandr
Hi there
As is known using non-infinity corrected objectives in infinity corrected microscopes is not a good idea because of many reasons (image quality will be degraded, back focal plane will be in wrong place, parfocal distance is not preserved, etc.).
What about building infinity corrected microscope from the scratch using non-infinity corrected objective: is it possible? Are there any design differences between the two kinds of objectives that does not allow this or at least have to be handled properly?
Anyway, references to microscope design books are highly appreciated.

Likes iRandy
Physics news on Phys.org
Doing that would be incredibly painful- why not start with an infinity corrected objective lens? There are two major benefits to infinity-corrected microscopes:

1) Putting optical components (polarizers, beamsplitters, waveplates, etc) in 'infinity space' does not change the optical path length, so your object remains in focus as these components are inserted or removed

2) aberration balancing can be performed with the tube lens- the objective lens doesn't have to be fully corrected, resulting in a simpler (less expensive) lens. This unfortunately means that, for example, non-Leica objectives can't be used in a Leica microscope (as opposed to the non-infinity corrected objectives which can be used in any microscope)

Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply. Sorry if my question was not clear enough but it seems to me that you misunderstand it a little so I'll try to rephrase it.
I'm not asking about replacing an objective in already made microscope but rather about building microscope from spare components by myself so I can place elements at any distances from each other. Unfortunately the lenses I'd like to use are not infinity corrected (Murphy's law).
I understand why infinity optics is better. To be simple it looks like this:
1) object (placed in focal plane of the objective lens)
2) infinity-corrected objective lens
3) "infinity space" = parallel beams = right place for additional components
4) tube lens
5) image (located in focal plane of the tube lens)
Imagine that we replaced the "infinity-corrected objective lens" with "non-infinity-corrected one" but properly placed so its focal plane also coincides with the object and it will also produce parallel beams after it. It seems that this setup should remain "infinity corrected". But how it will perform in this case? How much image quality will degrade and what about aberrations?
So my question is:
If objective was initially designed for non-infinity-corrected setup then does it perform equally well when placed properly in infinity-corrected optical setup?

anandr said:
Hi Andy
<snip>
Imagine that we replaced the "infinity-corrected objective lens" with "non-infinity-corrected one" but properly placed so its focal plane also coincides with the object and it will also produce parallel beams after it. It seems that this setup should remain "infinity corrected". But how it will perform in this case? How much image quality will degrade and what about aberrations?
So my question is:
If objective was initially designed for non-infinity-corrected setup then does it perform equally well when placed properly in infinity-corrected optical setup?

Probably not. I expect there will be a lot of distortion and field curvature.

I can say that building an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective is not recommended. This is because the design and construction of an infinity corrected objective is specifically tailored to work with an infinity corrected microscope. This type of objective has a longer focal length and a special lens system that allows for the formation of parallel light rays at the intermediate image plane, which is crucial for achieving high-quality images.

Using a non-infinity corrected objective in an infinity corrected microscope would result in a mismatch between the objective and the microscope's optics, leading to a decrease in image quality and distortion. Additionally, the back focal plane of the non-infinity corrected objective would not align with the intermediate image plane, causing problems with focusing and parfocal distance.

While it may be technically possible to build an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective, it would require significant modifications and adjustments to the objective and microscope design. It would also be challenging to achieve the same level of image quality and performance as a microscope specifically designed for infinity corrected objectives.

I recommend consulting microscope design books for more information on the differences between infinity and non-infinity corrected objectives and the implications for microscope design. Some good references include "The Microscope and How to Use It" by Dr. Georg Stehli and "The Light Microscope: Its Use and Development" by Dr. Charles A. Zeleny.

Related to Building infinity corrected microscope from non-infinity corrected objective

1. What is an infinity corrected microscope?

An infinity corrected microscope is a type of microscope that uses a special optical system to produce images with higher resolution and clarity. This is achieved by using an infinity-corrected objective lens, which eliminates the need for a separate tube lens and allows for better manipulation of the light path.

2. Can any non-infinity corrected objective be used to build an infinity corrected microscope?

No, not all non-infinity corrected objectives can be used to build an infinity corrected microscope. The objective must have a certain level of quality and design to be compatible with the infinity correction system. It is best to consult with a microscope expert or manufacturer to determine if a specific objective can be used.

3. What are the benefits of building an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective?

Building an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective can be a cost-effective option, as it allows for the use of existing objectives without the need to purchase new ones. It also offers the potential for improved image quality and versatility in terms of manipulating the light path.

4. How difficult is it to build an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective?

The difficulty level of building an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective can vary depending on the specific objective and microscope setup. It may require some technical knowledge and adjustments to ensure the objective is properly aligned with the other components of the microscope. It is recommended to seek guidance from a professional or reference materials for assistance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a non-infinity corrected objective for an infinity corrected microscope?

While building an infinity corrected microscope from a non-infinity corrected objective can offer some benefits, there may also be drawbacks to consider. Some objectives may not be suitable for the infinity correction system, resulting in lower image quality or compatibility issues. It is important to carefully select the objective and make any necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance.