Bullet Momentum Force: 3.15x104 N

In summary: The energy of the bullet is used to penetrate the fabric. It loses energy in the process and the total energy that is lost is equal to the mass of the bullet multiplied by the initial velocity multiplied by the final velocity.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

a bullet 15 g travels 300 m/s then hit the plastic sheet that is thick 2 cm and pass through it. After the crash, the bullet travels 90 m/s ( continue to lose the velocity ) How much the average force acting on the bullet?

Homework Equations

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

ddg.png

From the diagram, While the bullet is travelling, it has momentum (15x10-3)(300) = 4.5 kg(m/s) and after the crash, it has momentum (15x10-3)(90) = 1.35 kg(m/s)
4.5 - 1.35 = 3.15 kg(m/s)
the change in momentum is equal to Impulse
Impulse = 3.15 kg(m/s)
F(t) = 3.15 kg(m/s)

I found the time with S=ut+1/2at2
2x10-2 = 300(t) + 1/2[(90-300)/t](t)2
t is about 1x10-4 s

F(10-4) = 3.15 kg(m/s)
F = 3.15x104 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking a question ?

The only error I can see is that you have force as kg(m/s) when it should be kg(m/s2)

Pao44445 said:
t is about 1x10-4 s
You're making the assumption that the acceleration is constant during the process, which is unlikely. Try not to assume anything about what happens inside the material, except that all the reaction forces acting on the bullet can be averaged into a single force that slows it down.

I'll suggest the best and cleanest way to solve this problem is through energy. Is the energy of the bullet conserved?

JMatt7 said:
You're making the assumption that the acceleration is constant during the process, which is unlikely. Try not to assume anything about what happens inside the material, except that all the reaction forces acting on the bullet can be averaged into a single force that slows it down.

I'll suggest the best and cleanest way to solve this problem is through energy. Is the energy of the bullet conserved?

These problems that ask for the "average" force are ambiguous: does that mean the average over time or the average over distance? If you want to calculate the average over time, then you do have to assume constant acceleration, as otherwise the time is variable.

Otherwise, you can calculate the average over distance: using energy, as you suggest.

Likes JMatt7
PeroK said:
These problems that ask for the "average" force are ambiguous
That's being kind. Seems to me that, unless average over distance is specified, average over time is implied. Average acceleration is well defined as ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##. Average force should equal average acceleration times mass, so ##\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}##.
Questions which imply to the student that it is ok in general to calculate average force as ##\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta s}## should be erased from the textbooks.

Likes PeroK
Furthermore, the sketch implies that the plastic sheet is displaced somewhat as the bullet passes through it. Thus the deceleration occurs over a distance that's greater than the 2cm thickness of the plastic sheet. By the way, that's very thick for what I would refer to as a plastic sheet.

Last edited:
My teacher said I can actually use energy equation to solve this but since I am learning about momentum :/

<Moderator's note: Member has been warned to open new threads for new questions and not trying to avoid the template and request on own effort by this backdoor method.>

how do I calculate the Energy absorbed by the fabric.?
since
initial velocity of bullet = Vi = 755 f/s
final velocity of bullet = Vf = 343 f/s
weight (mass) of bullet = m = 1.75 grams

Last edited by a moderator:
Abro baba jhon said:
how do I calculate the Energy absorbed by the fabric.?
since
Does the bullet's energy change?

haruspex said:
Does the bullet's energy change?
yes.

Abro baba jhon said:
yes.
sorry, velocity changed

Abro baba jhon said:
yes.
So how much energy does it lose and where does the lost energy go?

Abro baba jhon said:
sorry, velocity changed
... which changes the kinetic energy, right?

Abro baba jhon said:
sorry, velocity changed
and now I want to calculate the Energy absorbed

haruspex said:
... which changes the kinetic energy, right?
yes, definitely

haruspex said:
So how much energy does it lose and where does the lost energy go?
the energy of bullet utilized to penetrate the fabric

Abro baba jhon said:
the energy of bullet utilized to penetrate the fabric
Knowing the mass and the before and after velocities, how much KE does it lose?

haruspex said:
Knowing the mass and the before and after velocities, how much KE does it lose?
yes, I want to calculate the energy lose (absorbed) knowing bullet wight before n after velocities,
as I have earlier stated the values of bullet mass initial (before) velocity and final (after) velocity

Abro baba Jhon said:
yes, I want to calculate the energy lose (absorbed) knowing bullet wight before n after velocities,
as I have earlier stated the values of bullet mass initial (before) velocity and final (after) velocity

Abro baba jhon said:
Ok, but you are not answering my question. Do you know the formula for kinetic energy of a mass?

Pao44445 said:

Homework Statement

a bullet 15 g travels 300 m/s then hit the plastic sheet that is thick 2 cm and pass through it. After the crash, the bullet travels 90 m/s ( continue to lose the velocity ) How much the average force acting on the bullet?

Homework Equations

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 105462
From the diagram, While the bullet is travelling, it has momentum (15x10-3)(300) = 4.5 kg(m/s) and after the crash, it has momentum (15x10-3)(90) = 1.35 kg(m/s)
4.5 - 1.35 = 3.15 kg(m/s)
the change in momentum is equal to Impulse
Impulse = 3.15 kg(m/s)
t is about 1x10-4 s
You can calculate the exact time. Simplify the second term with t: 0.02 = 300(t) + 1/2[(90-300)](t)=((90+300)/2)t So what is the time the bullet travels inside the sheet?

PeroK said:
These problems that ask for the "average" force are ambiguous: does that mean the average over time or the average over distance? If you want to calculate the average over time, then you do have to assume constant acceleration, as otherwise the time is variable.

Otherwise, you can calculate the average over distance: using energy, as you suggest.
Aren't they the same in this problem?

ehild said:
No. The elapsed time and, hence, the average velocity while penetrating the sheet depends on the acceleration profile. Front load the deceleration and the time is higher. Back load the deceleration and the time is lower.

ehild said:

They are only the same if the average velocity (wrt time, of course) is half way between the initial and final velocities.

haruspex said:
Ok, but you are not answering my question. Do you know the formula for kinetic energy of a mass?
I did not know the formula... I'm asking for thee formula too

jbriggs444 said:
No. The elapsed time and, hence, the average velocity while penetrating the sheet depends on the acceleration profile. Front load the deceleration and the time is higher. Back load the deceleration and the time is lower.
I meant that the energy method will result in the same average force as the method the OP used, assuming constant acceleration. Which might not be true, but there is no way to calculate the time without knowing how the velocity depends on time. The time averaged force is ##F_{av}= \frac{\int _0^T{madt}}{T}=m\frac{v_f-v_i}{T}=\frac{p_f-p_i}{T}##. As the distance traveled is given, T can be calculated knowing the time dependence of v: ##s=\int_0^T{v(t)dt}##
Using energy results in the force averaged for distance, and it is the same as the constant force which would produce the same final velocity over the same distance.

Abro baba jhon said:
I did not know the formula... I'm asking for thee formula too
Ah, ok. The kinetic energy of a mass m moving with velocity v is ½mv2.
But this is extremely basic.. I don't understand how you could be studying this subject and not have encountered this formula.

ehild said:
I meant that the energy method will result in the same average force as the method the OP used,
Unfortunately that is not the impression post #23 gives in its context.

What is bullet momentum force?

Bullet momentum force is the amount of force exerted by a bullet when it is fired from a gun. It is a measure of how much the bullet can push or move an object upon impact.

How is bullet momentum force calculated?

The formula for calculating bullet momentum force is momentum (p) = mass (m) x velocity (v). In this case, the mass of the bullet and its velocity must be converted to standard units before plugging them into the formula.

What is the significance of 3.15x104 N in bullet momentum force?

3.15x104 N is the specific amount of force that the bullet is exerting. This number is significant because it gives us an idea of the strength and impact of the bullet, and can be used to compare with other bullets or objects.

How does bullet momentum force affect the target?

The bullet momentum force can have a significant impact on the target, depending on the mass and velocity of the bullet. The higher the momentum force, the more damage and penetration the bullet can cause to the target.

Can bullet momentum force be reduced or increased?

Yes, bullet momentum force can be reduced or increased by changing the mass or velocity of the bullet. For example, a lighter bullet with a higher velocity may have the same momentum force as a heavier bullet with a lower velocity. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance can also affect the bullet's momentum force.