Buoyancy and Archimedes's Principle Based Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem involving an empty cylinder bucket being forced into water until its lower edge is 4m below the surface. The conversation discusses the calculation of the force required to hold the bucket in this position, taking into account the trapped air in the bucket and using equations such as P1V1=P2V2 and Archimedes Principle. The conversation also includes some mistakes and corrections made by the participants, as well as some additional help and guidance provided. The use of Boyle's Law and other concepts is also mentioned and discussed.
shinnsohai
I've this to be handed in by tomorrow
Please give some guidelines...

I think that my working is completely wrong !

Homework Statement

An empty cylinder bucket, 30cm in diameter and 50cm long, whose wall thickness and weight can be considered negligible is forced, open end first, into water until its lower edge is 4m below the surface as shown in the picture. Calculate the force F which is required to hold t he bucket in this position assuming the trapped air will remain at constant temperature during the entire operation.
image3-1.jpg

Homework Equations

P=ρ x G x H

The Attempt at a Solution

P1V1=P2V2
(4-h)ρg(∏(0.15^2))(4-h) = 3.5ρg (∏ (0.15^2))(h-3.5)
(4-h)^2(0.0707)= 3.5(0.0707)(h-3.5)
(16-8h+h^2)(0.0707)= 0.24745h-0.866075
0.0707h^2-0.565h+1.1312= 0.24745h-0.866075
0.0707h^2-0.81305h+1.997275= 0
(3.5ρg+101.3k)∏(0.15^2)(h-3.5)
(4-H)^2ρg(∏(0.15^2))= 3.5ρg(∏0.15^2)(h-3.5)

0.5=h-3.5+4-h
h-3.5=0.5
h=3.5/0.5
h=7

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem you will need to determine the volume of the trapped air in the pail. You have the equation P1*V1=P2*V2 so you can relate the final volume to the intial volume for the air in the pail. In turn, this can be related to depth at the water-air interface inside the pail (depth times density being pressure, P2). Doing this will result in a quadratic equation for the height (h) of the cylinder of air in the pail if you represent the total depth as 3.5+h. Knowing the height of the air, you can easily determine the volume of air. From that you determine, via Archimedes Principle, the force necessary to hold the can under water at the specified depth.

Last edited:
Thanks Lawrence for replying
At Least A Hope !
Gonna Re-Solve This!

When you set up your equation relating pressure and volume, pressures must be absolute. Also notice the slight change I made in my previous post. The 4 meters should have been 3.5 meters making the interface depth 3.5+h.

Erms Lawrance..
I Think that I do mistake all the time , but hoping no this time :D

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

Maybe the 2nd photo having the correct ans
Where small h=3.75
Therefore Trapped Air Height is 0.25m

what's the next step to find force(Brain Stuck!)
It's so tiring ~~
2am~
i shall continue tomorrow , hoping you could give me the answer ASAP

Thx for helping anyway!

Here is some more help:

P1V1=P2V2 where P2 is trapped air pressure and V2 is volume of trapped air.

Let d = depth to top of can (3.5 m)
h2= depth of compressed air in top of can
Pa= atmospheric pressure

So P2=rho(d+h2)+Pa

V2=Ah2=P1V1/P2=P1V1/(rho(d+h2)+Pa)
A=area of can cross section
Solve above quadraticfor h2. It is written as
Ah2=P1V1/(rho(d+h2)+Pa)
and should be put in standard quadratic form so you can use formula.

Knowing h2 you can get the force from Archimedes Principle or by evaluating pressure at air-water interface and multiplying it by the area followed by subtracting the pressure force pushing down on the top of the pail. The difference is the force needed.

If you work out the equations in symbols it is less messy and therefore less error prone. Plug in the numbers at the end. Make sure your units agree.

LawrenceC said:
Here is some more help:

P1V1=P2V2 where P2 is trapped air pressure and V2 is volume of trapped air.

Let d = depth to top of can (3.5 m)
h2= depth of compressed air in top of can
Pa= atmospheric pressure

So P2=rho(d+h2)+Pa

V2=Ah2=P1V1/P2=P1V1/(rho(d+h2)+Pa)
A=area of can cross section
Solve above quadraticfor h2. It is written as
Ah2=P1V1/(rho(d+h2)+Pa)
and should be put in standard quadratic form so you can use formula.

Knowing h2 you can get the force from Archimedes Principle or by evaluating pressure at air-water interface and multiplying it by the area followed by subtracting the pressure force pushing down on the top of the pail. The difference is the force needed.

If you work out the equations in symbols it is less messy and therefore less error prone. Plug in the numbers at the end. Make sure your units agree.

may I know why are you using Boyle's Law ..? I don't get the concept ..

*I was quite in shocked when I looked at this ..
0.5=h-3.5+4-h
h-3.5=0.5
h=3.5/0.5
h=7

PV^n=constant

For an isothermal process, n=1
For an isentropic process, n=k
etc...

Related to Buoyancy and Archimedes's Principle Based Question

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object placed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. Who was Archimedes and what is his principle?

Archimedes was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, and inventor. His principle, also known as the law of buoyancy, states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

3. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object affects its buoyancy because it determines how much of the fluid it will displace. Objects with higher density will displace less fluid and therefore have less buoyant force acting on them compared to objects with lower density.

4. What is the relationship between the volume of an object and its buoyancy?

The volume of an object directly affects its buoyancy. The more volume an object has, the more fluid it will displace, resulting in a greater buoyant force acting on the object.

5. How does the shape of an object impact its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can greatly impact its buoyancy. Objects with a larger surface area will displace more fluid and therefore have a greater buoyant force acting on them. Similarly, objects with a more streamlined shape will experience less resistance from the fluid, resulting in a greater buoyant force compared to objects with a more irregular shape.