The possible effects on the water level

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, replacing a small solid sphere in a bowl of water with a new solid sphere of different density and size can result in the water level either remaining unchanged or decreasing. The change in density and size will have different effects on the water level, with the mass of the new sphere remaining constant. The density of the fluid the object is submerged in is a crucial factor in determining the change in water level.
litz057

Homework Statement

A small solid sphere of mass M0, of radius R0, and of uniform density ρ0 is placed in a large bowl containing water. It floats and the level of the water in the dish is L. Given the information below, determine the possible effects on the water level L, (R-Rises, F-Falls, U-Unchanged), when that sphere is replaced by a new solid sphere of uniform density.
1. The new sphere has radius R < R0 and density ρ > ρ0.
2. The new sphere has density ρ = ρ0 and mass M < M0.
3. The new sphere has mass M = M0 and density ρ < ρ0.
4. The new sphere has radius R = R0 and density ρ < ρ0.
5. The new sphere has density ρ = ρ0 and mass M > M0.
6. The new sphere has radius R < R0 and mass M = M0.

Homework Equations

Archimedes Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

1. R or F or U (Density increased, but size decreased; thus, the unknown net result on mass)
2. F (mass decreased)
3. U (the mass did not change)
4. F (the radius is the same, but the density decreases; thus, mass decreases)
5. R (the density remains the same, but the mass increases= mass decreases)
6. U (the mass did not change)

I am not sure where I went wrong. Please help me understand my mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 3. if the mass stays the same but the density decreases, what does that imply about the volume of the sphere?

Ooops. Ignore my last post. Didn't read the question carefully enough. I think where you went wrong was 6.

The important thing to realize is that the amount of fluid the sphere will displace is limited by its volume; Over a certain threshold the density, and by extension the mass, of the object will no longer have an effect on the amount of fluid the object will displace. This threshold is the density of the fluid the object is being submerged in. So the radius could decrease by a magnitude that would require the density to increase past the density of water in order to maintain the same amount of mass.

AlephNumbers said:
The important thing to realize is that the amount of fluid the sphere will displace is limited by its volume; Over a certain threshold the density, and by extension the mass, of the object will no longer have an effect on the amount of fluid the object will displace. This threshold is the density of the fluid the object is being submerged in. So the radius could decrease by a magnitude that would require the density to increase past the density of water in order to maintain the same amount of mass.
Does that means that it is hard to determine what will exactly happen to the level of the water? The water level might fall due to the smaller volume, which is related to the decrease in the radius. So it is hard to determine if the water level will fall or be unchanged.

Yes, it could either remain unchanged or decrease. But it cannot increase, since the mass stays the same.

AlephNumbers said:
Yes, it could either remain unchanged or decrease. But it cannot increase, since the mass stays the same.
When I was attempting this, I only factored in the mass staying the same and not the change in volume. Thank you so much for your help and making me realize my mistakes! I really appreciate it!

You are very much welcomed.

What are the possible effects on the water level?

The possible effects on the water level depend on various factors such as climate change, human activities, and natural occurrences. Some potential effects include sea level rise, changes in ocean currents, and changes in precipitation patterns.

How does climate change affect the water level?

Climate change can lead to rising sea levels due to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, as well as thermal expansion of the ocean. It can also alter precipitation patterns, causing extreme weather events such as floods and droughts, which can affect the water level in rivers and lakes.

What human activities can impact the water level?

Human activities such as damming and dredging can affect the natural flow of water in rivers and lakes, leading to changes in water levels. Overuse and pollution of water sources can also contribute to declining water levels.

Can natural occurrences affect the water level?

Yes, natural occurrences such as hurricanes, tsunamis, and earthquakes can have a significant impact on water levels. These events can cause coastal flooding, landslides, and other changes in the landscape that can affect the flow of water and lead to changes in the water level.

What are the long-term consequences of changes in water levels?

Changes in water levels can have far-reaching consequences, including damage to ecosystems, displacement of communities, and disruptions to economies. It can also affect water availability for human consumption, agriculture, and industry, ultimately impacting our overall well-being and quality of life.