Buoyancy of Balls A and B in a Swimming Pool

In summary: We're trying to make sense out of what appears to be an incorrect answer that was supplied to the question.
CynicalBiochemist

Homework Statement

Balls A and B of equal mass are floating in a swimming pool, as shown below. Which will produce a greater buoyant force?

a. Ball A

b. Ball B

c. Force will be equal

d. Impossible to determine without knowing the volume of each ball

In the picture given, it is clear that ball A has a greater volume than B.

Homework Equations

Fbuoyant=ρwater(Vwater displaced)g=ρwater(Vball)g

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem in 2 ways and got 2 different answers (A and C)

How I got Answer A:

Ball A has larger volume so it is clear that the buoyant force is greater

How I got Answer C:

If the balls are floating, then

mg=Fbuoyant

Since both balls have the same mass, it follows that they must generate the same buoyant force since both are floating and have the same weight.

The correct answer is A.

Please help me out. I don't understand why my second approach is flawed. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
CynicalBiochemist said:
Ball A has larger volume so it is clear that the buoyant force is greater
You do not show the picture, but I am guessing the ball is partly out of the water. The buoyant force depends on the submerged volume.
CynicalBiochemist said:
How I got Answer C:
If the balls are floating, then
mg=Fbuoyant
Yes.

I agree with OP. It’s C. The weight of the displaced volume of water will have to be mg.

Likes rude man and Charles Link
@CynicalBiochemist One thing the question doesn't seem to be completely clear on: Are they interested in the buoyant forces when both balls are submerged, or are they asking you to compare the buoyant forces when both are floating? ## \\ ## When they ask "Which one produces...?", they need to specify the circumstances they want you to consider, or the question is very ambiguous.

Charles Link said:
@CynicalBiochemist One thing the question doesn't seem to be completely clear on: Are they interested in the buoyant forces when both balls are submerged, or are they asking you to compare the buoyant forces when both are floating? ## \\ ## When they ask "Which one produces...?", they need to specify the circumstances they want you to consider, or the question is very ambiguous.
"Balls A and B of equal mass are floating in a swimming pool".

Chestermiller said:
I agree with OP. It’s C. The weight of the displaced volume of water will have to be mg.
Me too. But all you need is buoyancy force = mg. Sure, that force is also equal to the weight of the water displaced (Archimedes).

rude man said:
"Balls A and B of equal mass are floating in a swimming pool".
But the question says, "Which will produce a greater buoyant force?", and not " Which is producing a greater buoyant force?". They really would do well to clarify what are they asking the respondent to answer.

Charles Link said:
But the question says, "Which will produce a greater buoyant force?", and not " Which is producing a greater buoyant force?". They really would do well to clarify what are they asking the respondent to answer.
Not sure I appreciate the difference but then I only got about 3 hrs sleep last night! :smile:

Likes Charles Link
rude man said:
Not sure I appreciate the difference but then I only got about 3 hrs sleep last night! :smile:
The use of "will" implies a future behaviour rather than the present one, so under some other condition that needs to be specified; e.g., when pushed below the surface.
If the question has been stated exactly, word for word, in post #1 (@CynicalBiochemist, please confirm) then the omission of such a condition suggests it intends the present. On the other hand, the official answer suggests a changed circumstance.

Likes Charles Link
I can't see how you can consider changed circumstances, when the changed circumstances are not stated.
Perhaps they will be taken out of the water altogether.

Merlin3189 said:
I can't see how you can consider changed circumstances, when the changed circumstances are not stated.
Perhaps they will be taken out of the water altogether.
We're trying to make sense out of what appears to be an incorrect answer that was supplied to the question. It appears they may have wanted the student to work a different problem than what they actually stated.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is caused by the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object and is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

3. Why do objects float or sink?

Objects float or sink based on their density compared to the density of the fluid they are immersed in. If the object's density is greater than the fluid's density, it will sink. If the object's density is less than the fluid's density, it will float.

4. Does the shape or size of an object affect its buoyant force?

Yes, the shape and size of an object can affect its buoyant force. Objects with larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force, while objects with irregular shapes may experience uneven buoyant forces on different parts of the object.

5. How does the depth of submersion affect buoyant force?

The depth of submersion does not affect the buoyant force on an object. The buoyant force is only dependent on the volume of fluid displaced by the object, not its depth in the fluid.