Exploring the Relationship between Buoyancy Force and Gravitational Force

In summary, the body in water has 2.4 times greater mass and has 2.4 times greater buoyancy Force, which causes it to float. The gravitational force between the body in air and the body in water is not enough to keep the body in water from floating.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Picture below. Both bodies are made of same material but the body placed in water had 2.4 times greater mass. What is the relationship between buoyancy Force and gravitational force between body in water and body in air?
Relevant Equations
F(buoyancy) = density(of fluid) * g * Volume(of object), F(gravitational) = m * g
Picture below. Both bodies are made of same material but the body placed in water had 2.4 times greater mass. What is the relationship between buoyancy Force and gravitational force between body in water and body in air?I have no clue how to solve this.
I know that body with greater mass has 2.4 times greater buoyancy Force, 2.4 times greater mass and gr. force, 2.4 larger volume. But I don't know how to solve the problem.

The worst thing is that I only need to answer if F(buoyancy) of body in water is <, =, > than gravitational force of body in air or if there is not enough data to answer the question.
Answer at the end of textbook is F(buoyancy) of body in water > F(gravitational) of body in air.

if some can please explain I'd be very grateful.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_035319_edit_1066088544897222.jpg
    IMG_20230207_035319_edit_1066088544897222.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
What can you infer from the fact that the scale is in equilibrium? What is the relationship between the net forces acting on the two bodies?

Likes scottdave and Callmelucky
nasu said:
What can you infer from the fact that the scale is in equilibrium? What is the relationship between the net forces acting on the two bodies?
well, I guess that Fb+Fg1 = Fg2, but I still don't get it.

Callmelucky said:
well, I guess that Fb+Fg1 = Fg2
Don't guess. Draw two free body diagrams, one for each mass, and show all the forces acting on the mass in each diagram.

Likes Callmelucky
kuruman said:
Don't guess. Draw two free body diagrams, one for each mass, and show all the forces acting on the mass in each diagram.
🤦‍♂️🙆‍♂️ How stupid I am. I got it. Thank you.
I didn't solve enough problems with drawing forces, so I don't have that habit.
I will have to fix that.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and kuruman
Callmelucky said:
🤦‍♂️🙆‍♂️ How stupid I am. I got it. Thank you.
I didn't solve enough problems with drawing forces, so I don't have that habit.
I will have to fix that.
I'm glad that you got it.

Likes Callmelucky

1. What is the relationship between buoyancy force and gravitational force?

The relationship between buoyancy force and gravitational force is that buoyancy force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it, while gravitational force is the downward force exerted by the Earth on the object. The buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object, and it acts in the opposite direction of the gravitational force.

2. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in its buoyancy. If an object is less dense than the fluid it is immersed in, it will experience an upward buoyancy force and float. On the other hand, if an object is more dense than the fluid, it will experience a downward buoyancy force and sink.

3. What is Archimedes' principle and how does it relate to buoyancy and gravitational force?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle helps explain the relationship between buoyancy and gravitational force, as the buoyant force is dependent on the weight of the displaced fluid, which is affected by the gravitational force.

4. How do different factors, such as shape and volume, affect the buoyancy of an object?

The shape and volume of an object can greatly influence its buoyancy. Objects with a larger volume will displace more fluid, resulting in a greater buoyant force. The shape of an object also affects its buoyancy, as objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the relationship between buoyancy and gravitational force?

Understanding the relationship between buoyancy and gravitational force has various real-life applications. It is essential in designing ships and submarines, as well as determining the buoyancy of objects in water. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of hot air balloons and other floating objects. Additionally, it plays a role in studying the movement of fluids and the effects of gravity on them.