Buoyancy of Helium and Hydrogen Balloons: Calculations and STP Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses buoyancy calculations for balloons, specifically the volume term in the calculation and its relationship to STP. It is mentioned that the buoyancy numbers presented are per volume and the formula for buoyant force per volume is discussed. The conversation also touches on the effects of partial inflation and maximum altitude for balloons filled with hydrogen. A video is referenced to show the effects of gas expansion at higher altitudes and a correction is made to a previously mentioned equation. The correct equation for pressure at altitude is given as $$p=p_0e^{-\int_0^z{\frac{Mg}{RT(z')}dz'}}$$.
chemisthypnos
As a note, this is my first post on this site. I was looking at some bouyancy calculations with regard to balloons being in air when I came across this post. I cannot understand why the calculation for the net force of bouyancy done by Vintage (the last post on the page) does not include the volume number in the calculation. Does it have something to do with it being calculated at STP? Should the calculation not inlcude a number for the volume of the balloon? Is there some condition that the volume term can be ignored?

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/9204/buoyancy-helium-vs-hydrogen-balloons

Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers presented are buoyancy per volume. Look at the units.

Orodruin said:
The numbers presented are buoyancy per volume. Look at the units.
How did they get to buoyancy per volume from that formula, though? There is no point when you divide by the volume. I am confused.

You divide by the volume and so the volume cancels.

He's making a mathematical statement about how much buoyant force would be gained for each m^3 of volume.

Ok. I see. Thanks!

One of the favourite discussion problems of our VI form physics teacher was what happens when a hydrogen balloon is only partly inflated at ground level . Assuming it is inflated enough to rise what happens to the balloon as reaches higher altitudes ?

Last edited:
Likes Daniel Sellers
Nidum said:
One of the favourite discussion problems of our VI form physics teacher was what happens when a hydrogen balloon is only partly inflated at ground level . Assuming it is inflated just enough to rise what happens to the balloon as reaches higher altitudes ?
The same thing that happens to a scuba diver's lungs if he holds his breath while ascending. There is a reason emergency ascent when scuba diving includes shouting "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh".

Likes Nidum
Anyone else ?

Nidum said:
One of the favourite discussion problems of our VI form physics teacher was what happens when a hydrogen balloon is only partly inflated at ground level . Assuming it is inflated enough to rise what happens to the balloon as reaches higher altitudes ?

I concur. If it's inflated with hydrogen enough to gain positive buoyancy then it will expand as it rises to higher altitudes and eventually burst like any hydrogen balloon.

Or does the density of the atmosphere decrease faster than the pressure with respect to altitude? If that's the case then a small enough amount of hydrogen might reach neutral buoyancy before the exterior pressure decreases enough to allow it to expand.

Ok it's a conditional answer but that's my answer.

Well it is actually shown in this video what happens. It grows and eventually pops. As the pressure gets lower at higher altitudes the gas expands. Density and pressure are in this case directly related via ##p =p_0 -ρgz## where ##p_0## is the pressure at ground level, ##ρ## the density, ##g## the gravitational acceleration and ##z## the height above the ground.

[EDIT]
It is actually common practice to only partially fill weather balloons with hydrogen as it would otherwise pop too early.

After my last post I looked into my own question and found that indeed, the balloon would expand and burst.
[QUOTE="

[EDIT]
It is actually common practice to only partially fill weather balloons with hydrogen as it would otherwise pop too early.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the main issues with all modern airships as well. Upon gaining altitude you have to vent helium, or at least collect it back into storage, which can be a pain.

Getting there .

Assuming that the balloon does not burst during ascent what effect does full or partial inflation have on the maximum altitude that can be reached by the balloon ?

A balloon fully inflated at ground level would burst sooner than a partially inflated balloon, clearly, assuming the two are identical apart from the amount of gas inside them. But if we assume that neither bursts at any point during their ascent then we have to conclude they would reach the same altitude, where air density is low enough to stop providing any positive buoyancy. But in that case the balloons are clearly not identical, since one of them is withstanding a far greater pressure difference than the other without bursting.

Am I missing something?

Assume that the balloon fabric is inelastic so that maximum inflation volume is fixed .

The initially fully inflated balloon is at maximum volume at launch . The initially partially inflated balloon will swell as it climbs until it too reaches maximum volume .

Once at maximum volume the buoyancy force acting on each balloon is the same at any given altitude and is reducing at the same rate as the balloons ascend further .

There is something different about the two balloons though which will affect the maximum altitudes reached by each - what do you think that difference is ?

Arjan82 said:
Well it is actually shown in this video what happens. It grows and eventually pops. As the pressure gets lower at higher altitudes the gas expands. Density and pressure are in this case directly related via ##p =p_0 -ρgz## where ##p_0## is the pressure at ground level, ##ρ## the density, ##g## the gravitational acceleration and ##z## the height above the ground.
This equation is incorrect. The correct equation is $$\frac{dp}{dz}=-\rho g=-\frac{pM}{RT(z)}g$$where T is the temperature at altitude z. and M is the molecular weight of air. The relationship of the density follows from the ideal gas law. So $$p=p_0e^{-\int_0^z{\frac{Mg}{RT(z')}dz'}}$$

1. How does the buoyancy of helium and hydrogen balloons work?

The buoyancy of helium and hydrogen balloons is based on the principle of Archimedes' buoyancy force, which states that an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In the case of balloons, the gas inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to rise and float.

2. What are the calculations involved in determining the buoyancy of a helium or hydrogen balloon?

The buoyancy force of a balloon can be calculated by subtracting the weight of the displaced air from the weight of the gas inside the balloon. This can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the volume, pressure, and temperature of the gas.

3. How does the buoyancy of helium and hydrogen balloons change with different atmospheric conditions?

The buoyancy of a balloon is affected by changes in atmospheric conditions such as temperature, pressure, and humidity. For example, a balloon filled with hot air will have a greater buoyancy force than a balloon filled with cold air. Additionally, changes in altitude can also affect the buoyancy of a balloon due to changes in air pressure.

4. What is STP and why is it important to consider when calculating the buoyancy of helium and hydrogen balloons?

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure, which is defined as 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure. It is important to consider STP when calculating the buoyancy of balloons because it provides a standardized reference point for comparing the properties of gases. This allows for more accurate and consistent calculations.

5. How does the buoyancy of a helium balloon differ from a hydrogen balloon?

The buoyancy of a helium balloon is greater than a hydrogen balloon due to the difference in density between the two gases. Helium is less dense than hydrogen, meaning that a balloon filled with helium will experience a greater upward force and will be able to lift a larger weight. However, hydrogen is a cheaper and more readily available gas, making it a common choice for balloon filling despite its slightly lower buoyancy.