Calculating Helium Needed for a Balloon to Float

In summary, the mass of an unfilled balloon is 7.5g and in order to make it float in air, it needs to be filled with 1.2g of helium. The conditions required for the balloon to float are that it has a net force acting on it and that it is filled with helium. The net force can be calculated by considering the difference in density between air and helium. To determine the amount of helium needed to lift the mass of the balloon shell, the volume needed to lift the balloon's mass must first be calculated.
Miri

Homework Statement

The mass of an unfilled balloon is 7.5g. How much helium has to be filled in the balloon to make it float in air?
density of helium: 0.18kg/m^3
density of air: 1.29kg/m^3

Homework Equations

When I calculate the volume like this: (7.5*10^-3kg)/(0.18kg/m^3)=0.041m^3 and than I don't know what to do with the density and the volume of water...Solution would be 1.2g

Physics news on Phys.org
When will the balloon float?

When it has 1.2g helium in it. But I don't know how I can calculate this...

Miri said:
When it has 1.2g helium in it. But I don't know how I can calculate this...

What are the conditions required for the balloon to float? What should the net force on it be in order for it to float?

I don't know what the conditions are. I just know that it has to float. And why do we need a net force? And how would we calculate it? Thx for your patience

What forces act on balloon?

Miri said:
I don't know what the conditions are. I just know that it has to float. And why do we need a net force? And how would we calculate it? Thx for your patience

When your balloon is filled with helium, how much less mass is in it per unit volume than if it was filled with air?

Think buoyancy. Displaced air ...

When you know what volume you need to lift the mass of the balloon shell itself, then you can figure how much helium is in that volume can't you?

So the volume needed to lift the mass of the balloon shell itself is calculated like this: 7.5*10^-3kg / 1.29kg/m^3=0.006m^3. But what's the point now? Should I calculate 7.5*10^-3kg / 0.18kg/m^3=0.04m^3 and then??

Miri said:
So the volume needed to lift the mass of the balloon shell itself is calculated like this: 7.5*10^-3kg / 1.29kg/m^3=0.006m^3. But what's the point now? Should I calculate 7.5*10^-3kg / 0.18kg/m^3=0.04m^3 and then??

No. Not like that.

Think of the difference in density needed.

Air is 1.29 kg/m3. If you replace it with helium then that means that you have a buoyancy of (1.29 - .18) or 1.11 kg/m3.

The volume needed to lift the .0075 kg of the balloon itself is what you want. TRhen figure the mass of helium in that volume.

Related to Calculating Helium Needed for a Balloon to Float

1. How do you calculate the amount of helium needed for a balloon to float?

To calculate the amount of helium needed for a balloon to float, you need to know the weight of the balloon and the lift capacity of the helium. You can then use the formula: (weight of balloon / lift capacity of helium) x 100 = amount of helium needed in percent.

2. What is the lift capacity of helium?

The lift capacity of helium is the amount of weight that one cubic foot of helium gas can lift. This value varies depending on factors such as temperature and altitude, but a commonly used estimate is 1 gram per liter.

3. How do temperature and altitude affect the amount of helium needed?

Temperature and altitude can affect the amount of helium needed for a balloon to float because they impact the lift capacity of the gas. Higher temperatures and altitudes result in lower lift capacities, meaning more helium will be needed to achieve the desired lift for the balloon.

4. How much helium is needed for a standard-sized balloon?

A standard-sized balloon typically requires about 14.1 grams of helium to lift 1 gram of weight. Therefore, for a balloon that weighs 28 grams, you would need approximately 400 grams of helium.

5. Can the amount of helium needed for a balloon to float vary?

Yes, the amount of helium needed for a balloon to float can vary depending on various factors such as the weight and size of the balloon, temperature, and altitude. It is important to calculate the specific amount needed for each individual balloon to ensure it will float properly.