Buoyant Force acting on a sphere

In summary, a sphere of radius 10.0 cm floats in equilibrium partially submerged in water with its lowest point 5.00 cm below the water's surface. The buoyant force acting on the sphere is 202 N.
Carrie

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius 10.0 cm floats in equilibrium partially submerged in water with its lowest point 5.00 cm below the water's surface.

(a) What is the buoyant force acting on the sphere?

Homework Equations

F = pvg

The Attempt at a Solution

F= 1000 * v * 9.8

V= 4/3*pi*(r)^3 and then I multiplied this by 1/2 because half of it is submerged.

F= 1000 * 1/2(4/3*pi*(.1)^3) * 9.8
F= 202 N, but the answer is 6.42 N, so that is very wrong.Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Carrie said:

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius 10.0 cm floats in equilibrium partially submerged in water with its lowest point 5.00 cm below the water's surface.

(a) What is the buoyant force acting on the sphere?

Homework Equations

F = pvg

The Attempt at a Solution

F= 1000 * v * 9.8

V= 4/3*pi*(r)^3 and then I multiplied this by 1/2 because half of it is submerged.

F= 1000 * 1/2(4/3*pi*(.1)^3) * 9.8
F= 202 N, but the answer is 6.42 N, so that is very wrong.Thank you!
Check your arithmetic. I don't get your answer or the book's answer, either.

SteamKing said:
Check your arithmetic. I don't get your answer or the book's answer, either.
I think I might have messed up putting it in my calculator, because now I'm getting 20.5 N.

The sphere's radius is 10 cm. The lowest point is 5 cm below the water's surface. Sketch it.

Carrie said:
I think I might have messed up putting it in my calculator, because now I'm getting 20.5 N.
Closer, but still not what I calculated.

Okay, I sketched it and now I'm wondering if I use half that radius of 10 cm because it's half submerged. So:

F= 1000 * 1/2(4/3*pi*(.05)^3) * 9.8 = 5.13 N. I'm not sure if I'm going off in the wrong direction now.

Carrie said:
Okay, I sketched it and now I'm wondering if I use half that radius of 10 cm because it's half submerged. So:

F= 1000 * 1/2(4/3*pi*(.05)^3) * 9.8 = 5.13 N. I'm not sure if I'm going off in the wrong direction now.
No, the sketch is very helpful here. You want to find the volume of part of a sphere, what is called a spherical cap, like this (the blue region would be submerged):

15e369cd-befe-4b1c-bc5e-269ae7a025a7.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cap

I think I misread the problem like you did in my initial attempt at calculation, so the book answer could be correct.

Oh, that makes sense! Thank you for your help!

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, such as water or air, due to the displacement of the fluid by the object.

2. How does buoyant force act on a sphere?

Buoyant force on a sphere is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the sphere, and it acts in an upward direction through the center of mass of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on a sphere?

The buoyant force on a sphere is affected by the volume of the sphere, the density of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and surface area of the sphere also play a role.

4. How is the buoyant force calculated for a sphere?

The buoyant force on a sphere can be calculated using the formula Fb=ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the sphere, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the significance of buoyant force on a sphere?

The buoyant force acting on a sphere helps to determine whether the sphere will sink or float in a fluid. It also plays a role in determining the stability and equilibrium of objects floating in a fluid.