Do Buoyant Forces Depend on the Material's Density?

In summary, the buoyant force is the same for both the lead and copper blocks suspended in water, regardless of the difference in their densities. This is because the buoyant force is determined by the volume of liquid displaced, not the density of the material.
wondermoose

Homework Statement

A 20cm^3 block of lead and a 20cm^3 block of copper are completely under water. Each is suspended by a thread so that they both hand at the same height in an aquarium filled with water. Which of the following is true?

a) The buoyant force is greater on the lead than on the copper
b)*** The buoyant force is greater on the copper than on the lead
c) The buoyant force is the same on both blocks
d) More information is needed

Homework Equations

Fb=[tex]\rho[/tex]vg

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was on a test and I was pretty sure the correct answer was B, but I was wrong. My revised way of thinking about it is since the volume is the same then the material with the greater density should have the larger buoyant force.

[tex]\rho[/tex]lead=11300 kg/m3
and
[tex]\rho[/tex]copper=8920kg/m3

Soooo

Flead = (11300 kg/m3)(.020 m3)(9.8 m/s2)
= 2214.8

Fcopper = (8920kg/m3)(.020 m3)(9.8 m/s2)
= 1748.3

Flead > Fcopper

Make sense? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have some misconceptions here.

Buoyant Force = Vρg, the V is the volume of liquid displaced, p is the density of the LIQUID displaced.

Hence, the upthrust is the same for both, since in both cases, the liquid and the volume of liquid displaced is the same.

Now, you might ask why is it that both can be at the same height at the water even though the lead block is obviously heavier than the copper block.

This is because Buoyant force + Force exerted by the string = Weight of block.

So does that mean the buoyant force is the same for both blocks, regardless of the density of the material? I guess that makes sense, since both blocks are the same dimensions under the same circumstances.

Just to make sure I'm getting this (because I obviously didn't before):

The buoyant force is the same on both blocks because buoyant force is independent of the density of the material.

Yes. That's correct.

Yes, your revised way of thinking is correct. The buoyant force is directly proportional to the density of the fluid and the volume of the object submerged. Since both blocks have the same volume, the block with the higher density (lead) will experience a greater buoyant force. Therefore, the correct answer is A) The buoyant force is greater on the lead than on the copper.

Related to Do Buoyant Forces Depend on the Material's Density?

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is partially or fully immersed in it. It is caused by the differences in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyancy related to copper?

Copper is a dense metal with a high density, meaning it has a greater mass per unit volume. When placed in a fluid, such as water, the upward buoyant force exerted on the copper object will be equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on copper?

The buoyant force on copper will be affected by the density of the fluid it is placed in, the volume of the copper object, and the shape of the object. The more dense the fluid, the greater the buoyant force will be. Similarly, a larger volume or a more irregular shape will result in a greater buoyant force.

4. How is buoyancy measured for copper objects?

Buoyancy can be measured using a scale or a balance. The weight of the copper object in air is first measured, and then it is submerged in a fluid and the weight is measured again. The difference between the two weights is equal to the buoyant force on the object.

5. How can the buoyant force on copper be used in everyday life?

The buoyant force on copper and other objects can be used in various applications, such as in shipbuilding and engineering. It is also the principle behind flotation devices, such as life jackets, which use the buoyant force to keep a person afloat in water.