Burst Pipe Causes Unexpected Adventure in My Garden

In summary: No he won't hate it, he's just going to be really excited to swim in it. :)Gosh, I hope not - or he's really going to hate the waffle raft I made for Evo to float... :p
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Yes i came home one morning to find water pouring down my drive, strange as it may seem the burst water pipe is nothing to do with my cottage it supplies several houses at the back of my property, any how i went out this afternoon to find two bloody great holes in my garden.
In one i could just see the top of a safety helmet moving about, rather bemused i went out and asked why the owner of the helmet was digging there, he told me all about the burst pipe and that he and his mate had been contracted to fix it but they could not find it,
(they are not usually this deep he said), now standing looking up the length of my drive
with the manhole cover at my feet and my cottage to the left of me it was obvious they were digging to the right of a straight line from the manhole cover , i put it to these guys that may be they were digging in the wrong place, ah they said, you are wrong we found water seeping out of the ground where we are digging the pipe must be here but deeper.
So i left them to it and went to visit mom, came back home about an hour ago, the two holes are now one and about 8ft deep, the men have gone leaving a pump pumping the water out of the abyss.
Should i insist that they dig where i suggested? i do not care one way or tother my damages claim is just going to get bigger the more mess they make.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, at least its outside.

Last year, the cold water pipe going to a sink upstairs broke----fix it-----then less than a week later, the hot water pipe to the same sink did the same--at the exact same connection. They hadn't been worked on ever by me, and had been OK for the 16 years I've been here, plus who knows how long before that.

rewebster said:
well, at least its outside.

Last year, the cold water pipe going to a sink upstairs broke----fix it-----then less than a week later, the hot water pipe to the same sink did the same--at the exact same connection. They hadn't been worked on ever by me, and had been OK for the 16 years I've been here, plus who knows how long before that.

My down stairs bathroom ceiling is in a state of flux, it may dry out OK or not, hell i think the Romans could hold water better than us.

They could try an old method:

dowsera.jpe

rewebster said:
They could try an old method:

dowsera.jpe

LOL.

Wolly got a swimming pool! :cool:

I want to come swimming!

hypatia said:
I want to come swimming!

Heart attack, or may be my physiology would stand up to a visit, if i lived i sure would make you welcome.

wolram said:
hell i think the Romans could hold water better than us.
Wrong...Lol. Its believed that the fall of the Roman Empire was due to water.

Math Is Hard said:
Wolly got a swimming pool! :cool:

:smile: Yeah, keep pointing them everywhere EXCEPT where the pipe is. :biggrin:

Just let the sisters know when we can come over for a pool party. I'll bring the margaritas.

MIH, is that a pancake on your head?

Evo said:
MIH, is that a pancake on your head?

Why yes, it is! :approve:

Are you feeling better? We have to get you all mended so you can come swimming at Wolly's.

Math Is Hard said:
Why yes, it is! :approve:

Are you feeling better? We have to get you all mended so you can come swimming at Wolly's.
The pain isn't as bad, but still there. Just toss me on an inflatable raft and I'll float around.

Can I have a pancake? :approve:

Evo said:
The pain isn't as bad, but still there. Just toss me on an inflatable raft and I'll float around.

Can I have a pancake? :approve:

You betcha. I made plenty:

http://www.tuscolakiwanis.org/images/pancakes.jpg

Or I could run over to Roscoe's and get you some of their famous chicken and waffles, if you prefer:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5351/roscoes2xd0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, and I haven't eaten yet today. :!)

Math Is Hard said:
You betcha. I made plenty:

http://www.tuscolakiwanis.org/images/pancakes.jpg

Or I could run over to Roscoe's and get you some of their famous chicken and waffles, if you prefer:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5351/roscoes2xd0.jpg
[/URL]
OMG I really, REALLY want this right now. I don't think Wolly would mind a few waffle crumbs in his new pool, would he?

hypatia said:
OMG I really, REALLY want this right now. I don't think Wolly would mind a few waffle crumbs in his new pool, would he?

Gosh, I hope not - or he's really going to hate the waffle raft I made for Evo to float on.

Math Is Hard said:
Gosh, I hope not - or he's really going to hate the waffle raft I made for Evo to float on.
:!)

hypatia said:

I do not care one bit if i get crumbs in my unpool.

The digging guys have not come back yet which is a shame, i was looking forwards to having some fun, hey mate i saw water seeping here last night.

I spoke to soon, i heard the beep, beep of a reversing wagon, so outside the cottage is a bloody great low loader wagon with a jcb on the back, and as i type this a van full people
has just rolled up, i sure as heck are not going to make that lot coffee.

I am a bit worried, may be i should go find the head digger and tell him where i think the pipe is, hells bells the bucket on the jcb looks like it could take out 10 cubic yards a scoop.

Woolie, I hope you're taking pictures of the momentous ocassion.

Astronuc said:
Woolie, I hope you're taking pictures of the momentous ocassion.

I would be, but i can not get my new camara to work with Vista, Vista sucks.

Do you like pancakes, Wolly?

Maybe they would be so kind as to fill up the hole with Maple syrup?

Math Is Hard said:
Do you like pancakes, Wolly?

I like savory pancakes, but no one can cook the nice thin ones around here, every one makes them about 1/8 inch thick and they taste doughy.

wolram said:
I spoke to soon, i heard the beep, beep of a reversing wagon, so outside the cottage is a bloody great low loader wagon with a jcb on the back, and as i type this a van full people
has just rolled up, i sure as heck are not going to make that lot coffee.

I am a bit worried, may be i should go find the head digger and tell him where i think the pipe is, hells bells the bucket on the jcb looks like it could take out 10 cubic yards a scoop.

Oh my goodness! Did they ever find the right spot to dig? At some point, they're going to find the groundwater, and I don't know how you'll ever convince them they've missed the pipe when there's still water seeping out of the ground. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Oh my goodness! Did they ever find the right spot to dig? At some point, they're going to find the groundwater, and I don't know how you'll ever convince them they've missed the pipe when there's still water seeping out of the ground. :rolleyes:

(Red faced) the jcb was not for me, it was to be driven through the gate at the end of the lane and used to clear some rough land.
My diggers did not turn up today.

wolram said:
(Red faced) the jcb was not for me, it was to be driven through the gate at the end of the lane and used to clear some rough land.
My diggers did not turn up today.

you could tell everyone that your hole is an 'IMPORTANT ARCHEOLOGICAL DIG'

----------------------

or to really get them going---throw some burnt chicken bones and some things that look like old stone tools down in the hole

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Maybe they would be so kind as to fill up the hole with Maple syrup?

Mmmmm! You know, if Wolly will just drill a bit deeper he might strike syrup. My grandpa had several maple syrup wells on his property back in Texas. I remember going out to the well with grandpa on cold winter mornings when I was a kid. I used to bring my little bucket along and I was so proud that I got to help with breakfast by bringing back fresh syrup for the table. It was so delicious. Not like the store-bought stuff, at all.

Math Is Hard said:
Mmmmm! You know, if Wolly will just drill a bit deeper he might strike syrup. My grandpa had several maple syrup wells on his property back in Texas. I remember going out to the well with grandpa on cold winter mornings when I was a kid. I used to bring my little bucket along and I was so proud that I got to help with breakfast by bringing back fresh syrup for the table. It was so delicious. Not like the store-bought stuff, at all.

I knew they drilled for sweet crude oil there in Texas---so the syrup wells must not far away?

rewebster said:
I knew they drilled for sweet crude oil there in Texas---so the syrup wells must not far away?
I always thought the syrup came from trees, shows how little I know. :wink:

Math Is Hard said:

I am one of a few people allowed down Ken Dods jam butty mine, most people do not even know where it is.

I found this 'artist's rendition' of the well just outside Hershey Pennsylvania:

http://www.ironrealms.com/forge_images/oilwell.jpg