Busy Barber Problem: Proportion of Time Apprentice is Busy

In summary, a continuous-time Markov chain is constructed to model the barbershop scenario, with the assumption that the owner is always the first choice for new customers and only one customer can wait in the waiting room. The infinitesimal generator is written out, but there is an error in the second row with negative values. The equilibrium distribution is calculated, but it results in negative probabilities which is impossible. It is suggested to avoid using attachments and to check for negative probabilities as errors.
iikii

Homework Statement

A barbershop has two barbers: an experienced owner and an apprentice. The owner cuts hair at the rate of 4 customers/hour, while the apprentice can only do 2 customers/hour. The owner and the apprentice work simultaneously, however any new customer will always go first to the owner, if the latter is available. The barbershop has waiting room for only 1 customer (in case both barbers are busy), any additional customers are turned away. Suppose customers walk by the barbershop at the rate of 6 customers/hour.

1. Construct a continuous-time Markov chain for this problem and explain your assumptions.

2. Write down the infinitesimal generator G of this chain.

3. Using your model nd the proportion of time the apprentice is busy cutting hair.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For the Markov chain, I don't know how to do it here but I guess is P(0,1)=1,P(1,2)=0.6,P(2,3)=0.5;P(1,0)=0.4,P(2,1)=0.5,P(3,2)=1
2. I attached a picture of my markov chain.
3. Then, for question 3, I calculated the corresponding equilibrium distribution and got: π0 =0.6, π1=0.6, π2=−0.6, π3=−0.6 which leads to the proportion to π2+ π3=0
So I guess there must be something wrong. I appreciate any hint!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.28.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.28.05 AM.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
iikii said:

Homework Statement

A barbershop has two barbers: an experienced owner and an apprentice. The owner cuts hair at the rate of 4 customers/hour, while the apprentice can only do 2 customers/hour. The owner and the apprentice work simultaneously, however any new customer will always go first to the owner, if the latter is available. The barbershop has waiting room for only 1 customer (in case both barbers are busy), any additional customers are turned away. Suppose customers walk by the barbershop at the rate of 6 customers/hour.

1. Construct a continuous-time Markov chain for this problem and explain your assumptions.

2. Write down the infinitesimal generator G of this chain.

3. Using your model nd the proportion of time the apprentice is busy cutting hair.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For the Markov chain, I don't know how to do it here but I guess is P(0,1)=1,P(1,2)=0.6,P(2,3)=0.5;P(1,0)=0.4,P(2,1)=0.5,P(3,2)=1
2. I attached a picture of my markov chain.
3. Then, for question 3, I calculated the corresponding equilibrium distribution and got: π0 =0.6, π1=0.6, π2=−0.6, π3=−0.6 which leads to the proportion to π2+ π3=0
So I guess there must be something wrong. I appreciate any hint!

You need ##a_{ij} \geq 0## for ##i \neq j##, but your second row has negative values for ##a_{10}## and ##a_{12}##.

You should realize that you can NEVER get negative probabilities, so getting ##\pi_2 < 0## and ##\pi_3 < 0## is an immediate signal that you have erred.

Also: in future, please just type out the matrix directly; I found it extremely inconvenient to open the attachment and then navigate back to this panel.

1. What is the Busy Barber Problem?

The Busy Barber Problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves calculating the proportion of time that an apprentice in a barber shop is busy cutting hair.

2. How does the Busy Barber Problem relate to real-life situations?

The Busy Barber Problem is an example of a queuing theory problem, which is commonly used in operations research and management to optimize processes and minimize wait times. It can be applied to various situations, such as traffic flow, customer service, and manufacturing processes.

3. What information is needed to solve the Busy Barber Problem?

To solve the Busy Barber Problem, you need to know the arrival rate and service rate at the barber shop. The arrival rate refers to the number of customers coming in per unit of time, while the service rate is the number of customers that can be served per unit of time by the barber and the apprentice.

4. How is the proportion of time the apprentice is busy calculated?

The proportion of time the apprentice is busy can be calculated by dividing the service rate by the sum of the arrival rate and the service rate. This represents the percentage of time that the apprentice is occupied with cutting hair and not available to serve new customers.

5. What are some factors that can affect the proportion of time the apprentice is busy?

The proportion of time the apprentice is busy can be affected by various factors, such as fluctuations in the arrival rate, changes in the service rate, and the number of customers in the barber shop. It can also be influenced by the efficiency of the apprentice in serving customers and the length of time it takes to cut each customer's hair.