But WHY do antimatter and matter annihilate on contact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of matter and antimatter annihilation upon contact. The exact reason for this occurrence is not clear, and the question of what happens when two particles of matter and antimatter meet is raised. The conversation also delves into the number of photons released during this process, and the factors that determine their energy and frequency. The concept of energy and momentum conservation is mentioned as a possible explanation for this phenomenon. The conversation also touches on the existence of antimatter and the difficulty of answering "why" questions.
biffus22
Everyone knows that matter and antimatter annihilate upon contact. But exactly WHY this should happen is not at all obvious, at least to me. So what exactly happens when two such particles encounter one another that leads them to disappear in a large release of photons? And for that matter, just how many photons ARE released in, say, the contact of an electron and a positron? And what determines their energy and frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi biffus22,
biffus22 said:
And for that matter, just how many photons ARE released in, say, the contact of an electron and a positron? And what determines their energy and frequency?
If I tell you that the basic rules are that both the total energy and total momentum must be conserved, that is, the total energy (intrinsic mass energy + kinetic energy) of the electron and positron must equal the energy of the resulting photon(s) AND the total momentum of the electron and positron must equal the momentum of the resulting photon(s), what do you think? Do you know of any suitable equations?

If you do not, here's a...

Edit:
biffus22 said:
Everyone knows that matter and antimatter annihilate upon contact. But exactly WHY this should happen is not at all obvious, at least to me.
It's not obvious to me either. I guess the Universe likes it that way. :biggrin: And why do antimatter exist at all? I have no idea. "Why" questions are easy questions to ask, but very tricky questions to answer. :wink:

Edit 2:
biffus22 said:
And what determines their energy and frequency?
See also...

Last edited:

1. Why do antimatter and matter annihilate on contact?

Antimatter and matter annihilate on contact because they have opposite charges. Antimatter has the opposite charge of matter, meaning that when they come into contact, their opposite charges cancel each other out, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. How do scientists create antimatter?

Scientists can create antimatter through high-energy collisions between particles, such as protons and antiprotons, in a particle accelerator. They can also produce small amounts of antimatter through radioactive decay or by bombarding a target material with high-energy particles.

3. Is antimatter dangerous?

Antimatter can be dangerous if it comes into contact with regular matter. When they annihilate, a large amount of energy is released, which can be destructive. However, in nature, antimatter is rare and usually only exists for a short period of time before it comes into contact with matter and annihilates.

4. Can antimatter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, antimatter can be used as a source of energy, but it is currently not a viable option due to the high cost and difficulty of producing and storing antimatter. However, some scientists are researching ways to harness the energy released from antimatter annihilation for potential use in the future.

5. What are the potential applications of antimatter?

Antimatter has potential applications in medical imaging, such as PET scans, and in propulsion systems for space travel. It could also be used as a highly efficient source of energy if the technology for producing and storing it becomes more advanced.