Buying/making trailer whiskers

• Auto/Motor
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trailer
In summary, people are looking for ways to avoid getting down and practical about life. They spend a lot of money, and some people even love doing it that way.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking to purchase 'whiskers' so I know where my trailer's corners are
I thought this was a common thing but it turns out there's virtually no such thing.

I just bought a utility trailer (along with my boat trailer, I now have a fleet!) https://www.lowes.ca/product/trailers/carry-on-trailer-2000-lbs-gvwr-3-ft-6-in-x-5-ft-wire-mesh-utility-trailer-253168 is tiny - 3.5x5. (Yes, that's feet, not metres) so I can tilt it up at the back of my driveway and I only have 8 feet of clearance.

1666660587669.png

It is so small I cannot see it at all behind my SUV. I want to put sticks on its corners so I know where it is (and where it is going) when I'm backing up.

The only things I can find that come close are
- whiskers for snow plows (way too large and heavy duty - these ones are 3/4" thick!)
- reflective driveway spikes (not aerodynamically viable).
- ball hitch alignment guides (but they are magnetic i.e.: temporary)
and they're all super expensive.

These driveway spikes would be perfect - if they didn't come in a pack of 24 for $120!
1666660201482.png
Wondered if anyone had any suggestions - for purchase or build.

I guess I'm going to have to build them myself - since ...
Project - Part 2

... I would also like them to either fold down or be removable*.

*note that is not the same as the temporary magnetic ones, above. I want them to be deployed while I am on the road, and only be removed/retracted in storage.I'll prolly use some sort of 2-position bracket with a wingnut tightener.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pictures?

Done. I linked to product pages for things I don't want.

1666662441402.png

Likes Lnewqban and DaveC426913
Ah. That.

Likes berkeman
Last edited:
DaveE said:
A common problem for small boat trailer's. Especially since it might be underwater. There should be lots of choices out there. All different variations of a vertical stick at the rear corners.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QL65CJZ/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Yeah, I've got them on my boat trailer. But they're huge - like 1" tube.
It didn't occur to me that they might come in miniature size for miniature toys.

Unfortunately, they seem to only come in LED lighted varieties.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
I have realized (after being inspired by ruminating over the above responses) that I am overthinking this.

I only need one. And it's literally just a stick. A 2 foot long dowel, sticking up from the middle of the back gate will serve the purpose.

$5 versus $50.

Thanks guys for letting me bounce ideas off you.

Likes berkeman
I push a dowel, fibreglass rod, or PVC tube into/onto a trampoline spring, then bolt the other end of the spring to the trailer. Since the spring is wound tight, it is rigid so doesn't oscillate, but can flex when needed.

Likes DaveC426913 and Lnewqban
There are also fiberglass rods for electric fences.
Sold where you get your electric fence stuff.

Likes DaveC426913 and Lnewqban
Also, there are various types of reflective tapes
I would not trust any glue for this, though. Zip-tie.

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: Looking to purchase 'whiskers' so I know where my trailer's corners are

I'll prolly use some sort of 2-position bracket with a wingnut tightener.
DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, I've got them on my boat trailer.
Strewth. $50 dollars for something that could be pinched one night.
I'd probably go for short tubes, clamped to the corner uprights. White plumbing pipe would do for low cost but alloy tube is not too expensive. Longer lengths of smaller diameter tube could be dropped inside those tubes. A single spring pin would stop the whisker jumping out. They really don't need to be lit - as the tricky manoeuvre is reversing and the car has special lights for this which would show up the white plastic.

I wonder if you guys have ever wondered what people do who don't want to get down and practical about life. Actually, I know: they spend a lot more money than they need to and the really rich ones actually love doing it that way.

Mirror, mounted to the (inside) roof, at the back, centered.

Likes DaveC426913
Oh dear, I expected this thread to be about "curb feelers"

Rambler_American_1st-generation_black_sedan.jpg

[wiki]
Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to alert drivers when they are at the right distance from the curb while parking.

gmax137 said:
"curb feelers"
Nice one :smile:

Actually, I had this kind of thing once, while re-learning to drive on a new car.
It's now sold as 'car bumper corner pole', but mine was just homemade: a wild marriage of some paper flags and suction cups... :doh:

Likes gmax137
gmax137 said:
Oh dear, I expected this thread to be about "curb feelers"

View attachment 316602

[wiki]
Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to alert drivers when they are at the right distance from the curb while parking.
Like queen Boudica, of ancient Briton.
1667557538894.png

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, gmax137, berkeman and 1 other person
I swear to Augustus, urbane cohorte, they're not weapons; they're inhibeo feelers.

It'll cut out jay walking for a start.
Offenders won't have a leg to stand on.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, DaveC426913 and anorlunda
sophiecentaur said:
It'll cut out jay walking for a start.
Nerd Factoid Alert

Jaywalking is not illegal (where I live).

Pedestrians are allowed to cross the street at-will. What they must do, however, is yield to motor traffic.

So, police cannot give to a ticket for simply crossing the road; but they can give you a ticket if you interfere with traffic. I could not believe this until friend of mine directed me to the actual city bylaw that states it explicitly.

Very sensible. I have long been of the opinion that:
1) If a car is in the domain of pedestrians, it is the responsibility of the car to avoid contact.
2) If I'm in the domain of cars, it is my responsibility to avoid them.

Hmm... stating it so explicitly gives the feeling of something not quite right.

Perhaps the more agile one should just Get The Heck Out Of The Way!:oldsurprised:
(fortunately, that seems to be what I do when not taking time to think too much)

Tom.G said:
2) If I'm in the domain of cars, it is my responsibility to avoid them.
There's a third factor: that involves responsibility of a car driver (wherever they are) to avoid hurting them, whether or not it's "their right of way". Let's face it, only serious nutters aim at harmless small creatures that stray onto the road. There are people who celebrate road kill but karma can visit them in the form of blood stains and dents. We hit a badger the other night - a quite upsetting bump.

Autonomous vehicles will make choices to minimise mayhem. (let's hope)
Let's hope that drivers will eventually lose the competitive driving urge. It's all a bit sad really.

What are trailer whiskers and why are they important?

Trailer whiskers are protective devices that are attached to the sides of trailers to prevent damage from collisions with other vehicles or objects. They are important because they can help reduce repair costs and keep trailers in good condition.

What materials are trailer whiskers typically made of?

Trailer whiskers are commonly made of rubber or plastic materials. Rubber whiskers are more flexible and can absorb impact better, while plastic whiskers are more durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.

Can trailer whiskers be customized for different trailer sizes?

Yes, trailer whiskers can be customized to fit different trailer sizes. They are available in various lengths and can also be cut to fit specific trailer dimensions.

How are trailer whiskers installed?

Trailer whiskers can be installed using adhesive or screws. Adhesive installation is a quick and easy method, while screw installation provides a more secure attachment.

Do trailer whiskers require maintenance?

Yes, trailer whiskers may require occasional maintenance to ensure they are still securely attached and in good condition. It is recommended to regularly check and replace any damaged or worn out whiskers to maintain their effectiveness.