By how much is each post compressed?

In summary, the aquarium is supported by four wood posts at the corners, each with a 6.00 cm x 6.00 cm cross section and a height of 90.0 cm. Taking Y=10^10 for wood, the change in length is calculated to be 0.00184, assuming a density of 1kg/L for the 30000 L aquarium. However, this was initially marked incorrect due to the answer needing to be given in 3 significant figures.
Wimpalot

Homework Statement

A large 30000 L aquarium is supported by four wood posts at the corners. Each post has a square 6.00 cm x 6.00 cm cross section and is 90.0 cm tall. Take Y=10^10 for wood

Homework Equations

ΔL = FL/AY
F = ma
ρ = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

So the total area is 0.06 * 0.06 * 4 = 0.0144m2
The length of each post is 0.9m
The total mass of water is 30000kg (taking the density as 1kg/L)
Meaning the weight is 30000*9.8 = 294000N
And Y=1010

Which gives:
ΔL = (294000*0.9)/(0.0144*1010
= 0.00184

But this is apparently wrong. I have no idea what I did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Were they expecting the answer to be given in particular units?

Likes Wimpalot
It has never mattered before as I can specify the units. So it shouldn't matter.

Wimpalot said:
It has never mattered before as I can specify the units. So it shouldn't matter.
Well, I can't spot any other issues. Your calculations look okay to me. Unless of course this is a salt-water aquarium?

Likes Wimpalot
gneill said:
Well, I can't spot any other issues. Your calculations look okay to me. Unless of course this is a salt-water aquarium?
That was my second thought. In which case I get 0.0019 which was also incorrect. So yeah, no idea what the issue is maybe they do want different units so I may try that otherwise I don't know. I only get 5 attempts (this is mastering physics)

Turns out every other question wants two significant figures except this one which wanted exactly 3 to be correct so yeah. 0.00184 was correct. Thanks for the assistance

1. How is post compression measured?

Post compression is typically measured by comparing the original length of the post to its length after compression. This can be done by measuring the post with a ruler or using a compression testing machine.

2. What factors can affect post compression?

The amount of compression a post undergoes can be affected by various factors such as the material of the post, the type of compression applied, and the temperature and humidity of the environment.

3. How much can a post be compressed?

The amount of compression a post can undergo depends on its material, shape, and size. For example, wooden posts can usually be compressed more than metal posts, and smaller posts can typically be compressed more than larger posts.

4. What are the benefits of post compression?

Post compression can provide several benefits, such as increasing the strength and stability of the post, reducing its size for easier storage and transportation, and minimizing the risk of damage during handling or installation.

5. How is post compression used in different industries?

Post compression is used in various industries, from construction and agriculture to automotive and aerospace. It can be applied to different types of posts, including support beams, fence posts, and metal tubes, to improve their performance and efficiency.