How Much Does a Marble Column Compress Under Load?

In summary, the marble column with a cross sectional area of 45cm^2 and a Young's modulus of 5.5 x 10^10 N/m^2 supports a load of 8.5 x 10^4 Newtons and has a compressive strength of 1.8 x 10^8 Pa. With a height of 2.75m, the change in length of the column is 9.44 x 10^-4. However, it is important to note that the original cross sectional area was incorrectly given as .45m^2, which was corrected to 0.0045 m^2. The instructor may have given the compressive strength to check if the column would break
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

A marble column with cross sectional area of 45cm^2 supports a load of 8.5 x 10^4 Newtons.
The marble has a Young's modulus of 5.5 x 10^10 N/m^2 and a compressive strength of 1.8 x 10^8 Pa. If the column is 2.75m high, what is the change in length of the column?

Homework Equations

Y(ΔL/L) = F/A

Where Y is young modulus.

The Attempt at a Solution

Y(ΔL/L) = F/A
Solve the equation for ΔL and you get.
ΔL = (FL)/ (AY)
So plugging in the values you get.
ΔL = ((8.5 x 10^4 N)(2.75m)) / ((.45m^2)(5.5 x 10^10 N/m^2))
So ΔL = 9.44 x 10^-6
Can someone double check me? I don't understand why my instructor gave me this number
1.8 x 10^8 Pa.
Please confirm or deny my answer. Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
45cm^2 is not .45m^2.
Can someone double check me? I don't understand why my instructor gave me this number
1.8 x 10^8 Pa.
Maybe to check if the column breaks down.

OK. So with that correction

ΔL = ((8.5 x 10^4 N)(2.75m)) / ((0.0045 m^2)(5.5 x 10^10 N/m^2))
So ΔL = 9.44 x 10^-4

Is this correct now? Thanks for the help.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem using the correct equations. Your solution seems to be correct based on the given information and equations. However, it is always a good practice to double check your work and units to ensure accuracy.

Regarding the compressive strength of 1.8 x 10^8 Pa, this is the maximum stress that the marble column can withstand before it starts to deform or break. It is not directly related to the change in length of the column, but it does provide important information about the strength of the material.

In summary, your solution for the change in length of the column seems to be correct. Just make sure to double check your work and units to ensure accuracy.

What is "Change in length (young)"?

"Change in length (young)" refers to the measurement of how much an object changes in length when a force is applied to it. This measurement is also known as the Young's modulus or the elastic modulus.

What is the formula for calculating change in length (young)?

The formula for calculating change in length (young) is:
ΔL = (F * L) / (A * E)
Where:
ΔL = change in length
F = applied force
L = original length of the object
A = cross-sectional area of the object
E = Young's modulus or elastic modulus of the object.

What are some common examples of objects that exhibit change in length (young)?

Some common examples of objects that exhibit change in length (young) are:
- Rubber bands when stretched
- Springs when compressed or extended
- Metals when subjected to tension or compression
- Rubber tires when a car drives over them.

How is change in length (young) different from other measurements of length?

Change in length (young) is specifically used to measure how much an object changes in length due to the application of a force. It is different from other measurements of length, such as distance or displacement, which do not take into account the effects of an applied force.

Why is change in length (young) an important concept in science and engineering?

Change in length (young) is an important concept in science and engineering because it helps us understand how materials behave under different levels of stress. It is a crucial factor in designing and testing structures and materials, as well as predicting their durability and safety. It also allows us to develop new and improved materials with specific properties, such as elasticity and strength.