C grades last semester - Applying to grad school

In summary, the transcript shows that the applicant has struggled in upper division undergraduate courses and may not be ready for graduate school. However, the applicant took additional courses after receiving their bachelor's degree that may have helped their application.
Fjolvar
Hello,

I'm making this post because I'm concerned about my chances of being accepted to graduate school. I just finished my B.S. in Physics this semester and I was planning on applying to some Electrical Engineering programs. Before this semester my GPA was 3.4, but now it currently sits at 3.27 due to my poor performance this past semester. I received a "C" and "C+" in Classical Mechanics and Thermal/Statistical Physics. I'm afraid this will demonstrate that I'm possibly burnt out or not ready for graduate school since my grades are the worst at the end. The only other C grade I received was in Quantum Mechanics with a "C+" grade. If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right - it looks bad to be getting C's in upper division classes. I am not sure what else to tell you.

I understand it looks bad. My question is probably more along the lines of whether or not I have a chance of being accepted.

Based on this, I wouldn't accept you. The transcript is saying that you can't excel in upper division undergrad classes, and grad classes are harder. It's not like there is a shortage of applicants. Now, if you smoked the GRE and had stellar letters, maybe a committee might overlook it.

Switching to EE, I don't know. In general, the bar is higher to switch fields, because you come in even less prepared.

But why do you care what we think? You can always apply.

Just to follow up with this thread, I applied to 4 different universities and was accepted to 3, including my top school of choice. The program begins in October! :)

Last edited:
Fjolvar said:
Just to follow up with this thread, I applied to 4 different universities and was accepted to 3, including my top school of choice. The program begins in October! :)
Congrats... what did you have on your application that made up for your GPA e.g. amazing teacher recs, etc.

Some factors might have been my letters of recommendation, work experience (~2 years engineering), and perhaps my statement of purpose. I applied to grad programs in Germany that are taught completely in English, so perhaps my language proficiency was a factor as well.

Congratulations!

Thanks. I should also add that I took three additional EE courses (post bachelor) the following semester: Electrical Circuits II, Power Electronics, & Noise Fundamentals, in which I obtained 2 A's and a B. I think this may have been the key.

Last edited:
Maybe a C in Germany at B.S. level is different from a C in the USA at graduate school entry level? A C in the UK would, I guess, be a 2ii - and you can do graduate courses (=MSc courses) with a 2ii. Not saying the USA is deficient - just that it has a high barrier for getting into graduate school, in the UK the high barrier is at the 'A' level stage.

Related to C grades last semester - Applying to grad school

1. What impact will my C grades from last semester have on my application to grad school?

While C grades may not be ideal, they may not necessarily disqualify you from being accepted into grad school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors such as your overall GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. It is important to focus on showcasing your strengths in these areas to offset any lower grades.

2. Will my C grades affect my chances of receiving financial aid or scholarships?

It is possible that your C grades may impact your chances of receiving financial aid or scholarships, as these are often awarded to students with high academic achievements. However, there are many other factors that may be considered, such as your financial need and extracurricular activities. It is important to research and apply to a variety of financial aid options to increase your chances of receiving assistance.

3. Should I address my C grades in my application or personal statement?

If you have a valid reason for your C grades, such as extenuating circumstances or a difficult class, it may be appropriate to address them in your personal statement. However, if your grades were simply due to lack of effort or poor study habits, it may be best to focus on highlighting your strengths and achievements in your application instead.

4. Can I retake courses to improve my C grades before applying to grad school?

Yes, you can retake courses to improve your grades. However, it is important to note that not all grad schools allow for grade replacement, so it is important to research the policies of the schools you are interested in. Additionally, retaking courses may not completely erase the impact of your C grades on your overall GPA.

5. How can I explain my C grades in a positive light during an interview?

If you are asked about your C grades during an interview, it is important to be honest and take responsibility for your performance. However, focus on emphasizing what you have learned from the experience and how you have grown since then. Additionally, highlight any strengths or accomplishments that may demonstrate your potential for success in grad school.