What is the Best C++ Library for Plotting and Graphical Representation of Data?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter drevo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary: C++ program for graphical representation of data. The program will plot correlation functions, linear regressions, maps, and produce at least 15 plots for one set of imported data. The user will have the ability to change parameters and interactively observe changes on the plots. The program will be used on Windows and programmed on Linux.- Warren is looking for a well-documented and widely-used library for the graphical part of the program.- He has previously used GTKmm and found plotmm to be not well-supported.- He is considering using Qt or gnuplot, but gnuplot would require calling it in the background and may be more efficient for learning about plotting and data.- Another suggestion is to use MATLAB or
drevo
I will be making a C++ program for graphical representation of data. The user will import data about for example 4 different objects (some proteins or cells) and the program will plot correlation functions, linear regressions, maps (according to some generalised distance) for these objects. The user will have the abbility to change different parameters and interactively observe changes on plots. The program will produce at least 15 plots for one set of imported data.

I will be programming on Linux, but the program will be used mostly on Windows.

What library would you recommend me for the graphical part of the program? I know that i could do just fine with practically any of the libraries i found on google, but why not choose the best fit if i have the option to do so. So what is the standard library used for this kind of work? I would like something well documented and well tested (~ widely used).

I have been doing some smaller "projects" (a homework that took me about 2 days to write) with the combination of http://www.gtkmm.org/" , but it seems that especially plotmm is not supported very well since i found no forums or mailing lists. The new project will take me at least 2 months, so i really don't want to start it knowing that if some problems occur i am completely on my own.

At the moment http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/" - what do you thing about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Why don't you just use http://www.gnuplot.info/" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember gnuplot can be run to produce an image as the output which you can then load into a window in your program - so the user never knows any other program is involved.

If the aim of this is to learn about plotting and data/functions rather than producing a commercial software package you will save weeks by simply calling gnuplot in the background.

Even drawing a simple graph with tick marks and selecting ranges and drawing labels yourself is a lot more more work than you think when you start ( from bitter experience )

Seems like your best bet would be MATLAB or Octave. There's no reason to descend all the way into C++ just to do some basic numerical computations and produce a few plots.

- Warren

1. What is the best library for plotting in C++?

The best library for plotting in C++ is a matter of personal preference and project needs. Some of the most popular options include Qt, Gnuplot, and matplotlib. It is recommended to research and compare these libraries to determine which one best suits your specific requirements.

2. Can I use a C++ plotting library for both 2D and 3D plots?

Yes, there are certain libraries, such as Qt and Gnuplot, that support both 2D and 3D plotting. However, it is important to carefully check the documentation of the library to ensure that it has the specific capabilities you need for your project.

3. Is it possible to customize the appearance of plots using a C++ library?

Yes, most C++ plotting libraries offer a variety of customization options, such as changing colors, styles, and labels. These options may vary depending on the specific library you are using, so it is recommended to consult the documentation for more details.

4. Are there any free C++ plotting libraries available?

Yes, there are several free and open-source C++ plotting libraries, such as Qt, Gnuplot, and PLplot. These libraries are often used in academic and research settings and can be easily accessed and used without any cost.

5. Can I use a C++ plotting library for real-time plotting?

Yes, some C++ plotting libraries, such as Qt and matplotlib, offer real-time plotting capabilities. This allows for the continuous updating of plots as new data is received, making it suitable for applications that require live data visualization.