Caculating linear speed of a vehicle

In summary, the question is asking for a formula to calculate linear speed of a vehicle. The formula is diameter(metres) x pie x revolutions per minute x 60 / 1000 which gives the speed in km/h. However, the number of significant figures must be taken into consideration when entering the answer. The discussion also clarifies that linear speed is the same as speed and the book's answer may not be entirely accurate.
dan_bighit
i need a formula for caculating linear speed of a vehicle.

the question is

wheel diameter 1.075 metres

what is the linear speed of the vehicle when the wheel is rotating at 300 rev/min?

thanks dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any expressions for relating angular frequency to tangential velocity?

no don't what that is, but i do know what angular velocity and angular acceleration is.

i thought linear speed was diameter(metres) x pie x rev/min x 60 / 1000 would give you the speed in km/h

which would give the answer 60.79 km/h

but turns out its wrong.

dan_bighit said:
no don't what that is, but i do know what angular velocity and angular acceleration is.

i thought linear speed was diameter(metres) x pie x rev/min x 60 / 1000 would give you the speed in km/h

which would give the answer 60.79 km/h

but turns out its wrong.
Your answer looks good to me. If your entering your answers on webassign, beware of the number of significant figures you include.

the book I am reading must be wrong then, is linear speed just the same as speed then

dan_bighit said:
the book I am reading must be wrong then, is linear speed just the same as speed then
Yes, just out of interest, what speed does your book return?

this is the question out of the book

the road wheels of a vechile are 600mm in diameter caculate the linear speed of the vechile in km/h if the wheels rotate at 560 rev/min?

answer form book 63.36km/h

my answer 63.3345079 which rounded up is 63.34

i know its only 0.02 out but still that why i wasent sure

I agree with your answer.

Related to Caculating linear speed of a vehicle

1. How do you calculate the linear speed of a vehicle?

To calculate the linear speed of a vehicle, you need to know its distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for linear speed is speed = distance/time. Make sure to use consistent units for distance (such as meters or feet) and time (such as seconds or minutes).

2. Can linear speed be calculated for any type of vehicle?

Yes, linear speed can be calculated for any type of vehicle as long as you have the necessary information. However, the units used may vary depending on the type of vehicle. For example, speed of a car may be measured in miles per hour, while speed of a plane may be measured in kilometers per hour.

3. How is linear speed different from velocity?

Linear speed and velocity are closely related but they are not the same thing. Linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line, while velocity includes both speed and direction of motion.

4. What is the significance of calculating linear speed for a vehicle?

Calculating linear speed can be useful for a variety of reasons. It can help determine how long it will take a vehicle to reach a certain destination, how far it can travel in a given time, and can also be used to measure performance and efficiency of a vehicle.

5. What factors can affect the linear speed of a vehicle?

The linear speed of a vehicle can be affected by various factors such as the type of vehicle, road conditions, weather conditions, weight of the vehicle, and any external forces acting on the vehicle (such as wind or friction). It can also be affected by the speed and direction of the vehicle's motion.