Caffeine Isomers and Their Effects on the Nervous System

In summary, different brands of espresso coffee can have varying effects on the nervous system due to differences in caffeine content. This can be attributed to the presence of different structural isomers of caffeine, which affect the body in different ways. However, it is more likely that some brands simply have a higher caffeine content than others. Other compounds such as xanthines can also be found in coffee and have various biomedical effects. Caffeine is also known to act as a mild laxative and diuretic, but tolerance can be developed.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
I noticed that different brands of espresso coffee have different effect on my nervous system. Some are really good in the sense that they wake me up and make me feel fresh and dynamic, while others do nothing, and others make me really jumpy and nervous and stressed.

Why is that? I am not good in chemistry but is it because the caffeine molecule has many types of isomers? (structural and or stereoisomers) and each caffeine isomer affect my nervous system in a different way?

Likes jim mcnamara
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think it's more likely some have far more caffeine than others.

Likes epenguin, jim mcnamara and Delta2
No isomers of caffeine as far as I am aware.

(That is: there are other compounds that are isomers of caffeine, but they are no longer caffeine.)

Borek said:
No isomers of caffeine as far as I am aware.

(That is: there are other compounds that are isomers of caffeine, but they are no longer caffeine.)

Er hm what do you mean by that, that the isomers of caffeine are synthesized in chemical labs and not found in nature coffee plants?

jim mcnamara said:
You have the grade "A" answer there. - @CWatters answer.
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-brewed - has a range of caffeine from 64mg -> 277mg per cup. See how coffee prep methods change the caffeine content.
I could never imagine there could be such a big variation in caffeine density depending on brand and how it is prepared..Up to 4x..or even more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17514358 there are many xanthine compounds in plants. For example, mate (Holly plant in South America), tea (theine), and chocolate all contain caffiene and other xanthine relatives. Xanthines have a lot of biomedical effects - the xanthines in ordinary tea are bronchodilators.

Delta² said:
Er hm what do you mean by that, that the isomers of caffeine are synthesized in chemical labs and not found in nature coffee plants?

OK, too many shortcuts and hand waving in one post.

There are many types of isomers. Sometimes the molecule has the same overall formula, but is different structurally (structural isomers, often thousands of such, they are considered to be different compounds). Sometimes the molecule is very similar (same overall formula, almost identical structure), but differs only by subtle geometry (like stereoisomers). There are no stereoisomers of caffeine, there are plenty of structural isomers. Differences of a kind you have described are common for a stereoisometry.

Likes ChristinaMaria and Delta2
I only drink decafinated coffee and even that has some caffeine in it. With some brands it feels like they have hardly taken any out.

CWatters said:
I only drink decafinated coffee and even that has some caffeine in it. With some brands it feels like they have hardly taken any out.
What other chemical compounds coffee has (except caffeine) that are useful for a human organism?

Something else I want to ask (don't laugh), I noticed coffee also acts as a sort of mild laxative (it helps me when I am constipated), is it caffeine to blame also for this laxative effect?

Delta² said:
Something else I want to ask (don't laugh), I noticed coffee also acts as a sort of mild laxative (it helps me when I am constipated), is it caffeine to blame also for this laxative effect?

Quite normal, to quote wikipedia: Coffee and caffeine can affect gastrointestinal motility.

Caffeine is also mildly diuretic, although we easily develop tolerance.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the chemical structure of caffeine?

The chemical structure of caffeine is a crystalline compound with the molecular formula C8H10N4O2. It is made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen atoms, arranged in a specific way to form a ring structure.

2. How does caffeine affect the body?

Caffeine is a stimulant that works by blocking the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that causes drowsiness. This results in increased alertness, improved concentration, and a temporary boost in energy levels.

3. What are the natural sources of caffeine?

Caffeine is naturally found in plants such as coffee beans, tea leaves, and cacao beans. It can also be found in some fruits and nuts, but in much smaller amounts.

4. How much caffeine is considered safe for consumption?

The recommended daily limit for caffeine consumption is 400 mg for healthy adults. Consuming more than this amount may lead to side effects such as jitters, anxiety, and insomnia.

5. Can caffeine be addictive?

Caffeine can be habit-forming, but it is not considered addictive in the same way as drugs like nicotine or cocaine. Regular caffeine consumption can lead to dependence, and sudden withdrawal may cause symptoms such as headaches and fatigue.