Cake vs Pie: A Scientific Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the debate between pie and cake, with some individuals arguing that cake is superior due to its icing and versatility, while others argue that pie is better because of its flavor and potential for warm, fresh fruit fillings. The conversation also includes some personal anecdotes and opinions on specific types of pie and cake.
Physics news on Phys.org
Birthday pie? What?

Encorp, that is one of the weirdest things that I have ever clicked on. Please don't do that again. :redface:

My teacher asked me if there were 2 pies and 15 people then what should each person get. I said it was an easy problem and she said yeah, it's a piece of cake. Now I'm confused.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

This is epic! #6 with the two guys faces are EXACTLY how I feel after eating the two.

Pengwuino said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

This is epic! #6 with the two guys faces are EXACTLY how I feel after eating the two.

Haha yes, that is the one that struck close to home with me too! LOL

The only reason for eating cake is the icing. Pie has no icing.

==> Cake is superior. QED.

Cake is also multifunctional: If you are on a diet, just scrape the icing off the cake and eat it that way.

Of course, you can't do math with cake.

When you gorge yourself on cake, "You have a problem".

When you gorge yourself on pie, "Why didn't you save me a piece!"

Ivan Seeking said:
The only reason for eating cake is the icing. Pie has no icing.

==> Cake is superior. QED.

Cake is also multifunctional: If you are on a diet, just scrape the icing off the cake and eat it that way.

BUT; if you scrape the icing off a cake, you're left with something not so cakey or piey or good.

Yes: I said "Piey".

OP should have made a poll.

Cake is better than Pi.

cake is spongy and bready.

Pie is super tasty.

Pie is definitely better! I have half a pie left over and I think I am going to eat all of it by myself! :biggrin: :biggrin: I feel nothing for cake. The cake in itself is uneventful to eat, so that's probably why they cover it in the overly sugary icing

Bah, the cakey bit is full of cakey goodness, and the icing is just icing on the cake!

What about cheesecake?

Cheesecake isn't cake. :frown:

My wife makes pies to die for. No cake can compare. Fall and winter get-togethers mean she's making raspberry/rhubarb or strawberry/rhubarb pie, pumpkin pie (using only REAL pumpkins), apple pie, peach pie... There's no frosting on the pies, but serve them warm with French vanilla ice cream - Heaven!

BTW, the berries and fruit are all fresh-frozen and come from our property or our neighbor's place, so the fillings are very flavorful - not like the stuff from the store. Our two chest freezers are wonderful!

Last edited:
Psshhh. You're all crazy. Ice cream cake pwns all pie.

Plus no one ever has "wedding pie" cause nobody wants a stupid pie at their wedding. You can't even put a fountain in pie like you can a cake.

Castle-Fountain-Wedding-Cake.jpg

The cake is a lie!

We had a small cake at our wedding reception. AND all kinds of pies. My wife and I eloped and both our families insisted that we have a reception party after we told them. This is old-time farm country, and people tend to eat hearty. Berry pies with ice cream are really popular. Same with apple pie and sharp cheddar. There were Swedish meatballs, finger-rolls, etc, but the pies outnumbered the cake by X:1, and they got devoured.

You left out tarts, tarts are better than cake and pies, my all time favourite is treacle.
My least favourite is APPLE TART. peyuuuu.

Topher925 said:
Psshhh. You're all crazy. Ice cream cake pwns all pie.

Plus no one ever has "wedding pie" cause nobody wants a stupid pie at their wedding. You can't even put a fountain in pie like you can a cake.

Castle-Fountain-Wedding-Cake.jpg

This isn't about architecture, the question is, Is it edible?

I was ruined for US style cakes 35 years ago when I married into a Czech family. Babicka made Austrian Torts to die for, the frosting was heavenly, making the crap smeared over American cakes fit only for the garbage can. That marriage and babicka are long dead but I still cannot enjoy the usual cake.

Like Turbo's, my wife bakes a killer pie, I am happy with that. We had a major tragedy earlier this week when the freezer door did not close completely and we lost the 4 gal of wild bleckberries we picked 2 weeks ago. :(

Integral said:
Like Turbo's, my wife bakes a killer pie, I am happy with that. We had a major tragedy earlier this week when the freezer door did not close completely and we lost the 4 gal of wild bleckberries we picked 2 weeks ago. :(
Aaaaah! That's horrible. Blackberry pie is a favorite here, too. Plus my wife uses them to make smoothies for her breakfast. A couple of years ago, the wild blackberries came in like crazy, and I picked a gallon a day within sight of my house. I want another good berrying year like that again.

Cake should only be eaten at funerals.

Monique said:
Cake should only be eaten at funerals.
And maybe at goodbye parties for soon-to-be former co-workers. You don't want to spend the time and effort to make a nice pie, so you chip in and buy a cheap cake at the supermarket bakery.

pie is so much better! and cheesecake is NOT cake - it should be cheesepie! and tart is just a flatter pie with no top! and pies are so much easier to make than cakes that never rise... and pies are always moist... and you can top pies with all kinds of toppings - cream, meringue, ice cream, fruit, chocolate sauce... my favourite ie lemon meringue pie! and there is no boring cake bit to eat through... :9

nucleargirl said:
and there is no boring cake bit to eat through... :9
Have you noticed how many wedding cakes, birthday cakes, etc are a simple yellow-cake recipe with icing and decorations? The icing and decorations are like putting lipstick and earrings on a pig. Pie RULES!

Cakes don't have boring cake bits either. :biggrin:

nucleargirl said:
pie is so much better! and cheesecake is NOT cake - it should be cheesepie! and tart is just a flatter pie with no top! and pies are so much easier to make than cakes that never rise... and pies are always moist... and you can top pies with all kinds of toppings - cream, meringue, ice cream, fruit, chocolate sauce... my favourite ie lemon meringue pie! and there is no boring cake bit to eat through... :9

Cheesepie...lol...

btw, I love Allie's blog! (from which this thread started) its so funny! so much so that I have spent the last 24 hours reading all of it... really, I've read all of it now... my eyes hurt but I am happy 8)

Hurkyl said:
Cheesecake isn't cake. :frown:

Specifically, it's a custard pie.

Though I will normally take cake over pie, when Tsu and I got married, we had a tiny little cake to make my mother and grandmother happy, and some number of the intoxicating and titanic, Madonna Inn, Banana Cream Pies.

During another stop by the Madonna Inn, we got the Caveman Room, but that's another story.
http://www.madonnainn.com/rooms/137.php

Last edited:
<h2>1. What are the main differences between cake and pie?</h2><p>Cake and pie have several key differences. Cake is typically made with flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, while pie is made with a crust and a filling that can be sweet or savory. Cake is usually taller and fluffier, while pie has a flatter and denser texture. Additionally, cake is often served at room temperature or chilled, while pie is typically served warm.</p><h2>2. Which one is healthier, cake or pie?</h2><p>It is difficult to determine which one is healthier as it depends on the specific ingredients and portion sizes. Generally, cake tends to have more sugar and fat, while pie may have more carbohydrates and sodium. However, there are healthier alternatives for both cake and pie that use healthier ingredients and portion control.</p><h2>3. What is the role of science in analyzing cake vs pie?</h2><p>Science plays a significant role in analyzing cake vs pie as it involves understanding the chemical reactions that occur during the baking process, as well as the nutritional composition of the ingredients. Scientists can also conduct experiments to test different variables, such as the effects of different types of flour or sweeteners on the texture and taste of cake and pie.</p><h2>4. Can you explain the science behind the differences in texture between cake and pie?</h2><p>The texture of cake is determined by the amount of air that is incorporated into the batter during mixing and the chemical reactions that occur during baking. The presence of leavening agents, such as baking powder or baking soda, creates air pockets, resulting in a light and fluffy texture. On the other hand, the texture of pie is determined by the type of crust and the filling. The crust is typically made with flour, fat, and water, which creates a dense and flaky texture. The filling, which can be made with various ingredients, also contributes to the texture of the pie.</p><h2>5. Which one is more versatile, cake or pie?</h2><p>Both cake and pie can be versatile depending on the ingredients and variations used. Cake can be made in different shapes, sizes, and flavors, making it suitable for various occasions. Pie, on the other hand, can also be made with different crusts and fillings, allowing for sweet or savory options. Ultimately, the versatility of cake or pie depends on personal preference and creativity in the kitchen.</p>

Related to Cake vs Pie: A Scientific Analysis

1. What are the main differences between cake and pie?

Cake and pie have several key differences. Cake is typically made with flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, while pie is made with a crust and a filling that can be sweet or savory. Cake is usually taller and fluffier, while pie has a flatter and denser texture. Additionally, cake is often served at room temperature or chilled, while pie is typically served warm.

2. Which one is healthier, cake or pie?

It is difficult to determine which one is healthier as it depends on the specific ingredients and portion sizes. Generally, cake tends to have more sugar and fat, while pie may have more carbohydrates and sodium. However, there are healthier alternatives for both cake and pie that use healthier ingredients and portion control.

3. What is the role of science in analyzing cake vs pie?

Science plays a significant role in analyzing cake vs pie as it involves understanding the chemical reactions that occur during the baking process, as well as the nutritional composition of the ingredients. Scientists can also conduct experiments to test different variables, such as the effects of different types of flour or sweeteners on the texture and taste of cake and pie.

4. Can you explain the science behind the differences in texture between cake and pie?

The texture of cake is determined by the amount of air that is incorporated into the batter during mixing and the chemical reactions that occur during baking. The presence of leavening agents, such as baking powder or baking soda, creates air pockets, resulting in a light and fluffy texture. On the other hand, the texture of pie is determined by the type of crust and the filling. The crust is typically made with flour, fat, and water, which creates a dense and flaky texture. The filling, which can be made with various ingredients, also contributes to the texture of the pie.

5. Which one is more versatile, cake or pie?

Both cake and pie can be versatile depending on the ingredients and variations used. Cake can be made in different shapes, sizes, and flavors, making it suitable for various occasions. Pie, on the other hand, can also be made with different crusts and fillings, allowing for sweet or savory options. Ultimately, the versatility of cake or pie depends on personal preference and creativity in the kitchen.