[Calc 3] Gauss' Law for Elecricity over a hemisphere

In summary: Therefore, you should get a completely different answer for the charge.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Gauss' Law for electricity and finding the total charge in a hemisphere using a given electric field. The student has attempted a solution but has encountered an error in their calculations. They also discuss the units of the given electric field and how it affects the final answer. A mistake is identified in the student's solution regarding the substitution of variables, which leads to a different answer for the charge.
mjdiaz89
Hello,

Thank you very much for takign the time to help me out. This is an applied calculus 3 (multivariable calc) level problem. I have an answer, but it is nonsensical as the units are not in accordance with units of charge, C.

Homework Statement

Instructions: Use Gauss' Law for electricity and the relationship [tex]q=\int\int\int_{Q} \rho dV[/tex].

Question: For [tex]E=\left\langle 2xz^{2},2yx^2,2zy^2\right\rangle[/tex], find the total charge in the hemisphere [tex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla \bullet E=\rho/\epsilon_{o}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the divergence of E:
[tex]\nabla \bullet E = \frac{\partial 2xz^{2}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial 2yx^{2}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial 2zy^{2}}{\partial z}[/tex]
Subsituting [tex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/tex] in the partial of x as z is a function of x:
[tex]= \frac{\partial 2x(R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2})}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial 2yx^{2}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial 2zy^{2}}{\partial z}[/tex]
Yeilds:
[tex] \nabla \bullet E = 2(R^{2}-2x^{2}) [/tex]

Now, this means that [tex]\rho = 2 \epsilon_o (R^{2}-2x^{2})[/tex]

Using the relation [tex]q=\int\int\int_{Q} \rho dV[/tex]:
and setting up the region of integration:
[tex]q = 2 \epsilon_o \int^{R}_{-R} \int^{\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}}_{-\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}} \int^{\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}}}_{0}(R^{2}-2^{2}) dz dy dx[/tex]

Seeing spherical symmetry, a conversion from rectangular to spherical coordinates will be convenient. *NOTE: My book and teacher use phi to indicate the angle from the z-axis and theta as the angle from the x-axis; like this: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html * :
[tex]R^{2} - x^{2} = \rho^{2} - (\rho sin\phi cos\theta)^{2} [/tex]

Switching limits of integration and substituting [tex]\rho dV[/tex]

[tex]q = 2 \epsilon_o \int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{\pi/2}_{0} \int^{R}_{0} \rho^{2} sin\phi (\rho^{2} - (\rho sin\phi cos\theta)^{2}) d\rho d\phi d\theta [/tex]
Distributing and integrating [tex]d\rhp [/tex]
[tex]q = 2 \epsilon_o \int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{\pi/2}_{0} [\rho^{5}/5sin\phi - 2\rho^{5}/5sin^{3}\phi cos^{2}\theta]|^{R}_{0} d\phi d\theta [/tex]

After integrating wrt [tex]d\rho[/tex] and moving R^5 outside of the iterated integrals, the iterated integral remains as (Notice the weird R^5 units!):
[tex]q = 2/5 R^{5} \epsilon_o \int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{\pi/2}_{0} [sin\phi - 2sin^{3}\phi cos^{2}\theta] d\phi d\theta [/tex]

Once all the trigonometric integrations are done (which is just as long as the work up to this point), my finals answer is
[tex]\frac{4}{15} \pi R^{5} \epsilon_o[/tex]

The units of this answer are [tex][R^{5}][\epsilon_o] = m^{5} * \frac{C^{2}}{Nm^{2}}\neq C[/tex]

Im sure there is an error I made as this is a law. However, my teacher was unable to find my error after visiting him in his office. I have been thinking about this problem for a few days now and ...well... I am still without a sensical answer. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mjdiaz89 said:
Question: For [tex]E=\left\langle 2xz^{2},2yx^2,2zy^2\right\rangle[/tex], find the total charge in the hemisphere [tex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/tex].

You should take note here that for E to represent an actual electric field, it must have units of N/C. The only way this can happen is if you assume (sort of hand-wavingly) that there is some constant [tex]k=1 \frac{\text{N}}{\text{m}^3\text{C}}[/tex] multiplying this expression. If you were to assume this, then when you found your answer to be proportional to [tex]\epsilon_0 R^5[/tex], you would have that it is actually proportional to [tex]k\epsilon_0 R^5[/tex] which would give you the correct units of charge. However, since this is a math course and not a physics course I doubt they expect you to correct the units of E in this manner.

There is a mistake on your part though:

[tex]\nabla \bullet E = \frac{\partial 2xz^{2}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial 2yx^{2}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial 2zy^{2}}{\partial z}[/tex]
Subsituting [tex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/tex] in the partial of x as z is a function of x:

When you do this substitution, you are effectively assuming that [tex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/tex] everywhere in the hemisphere; but that is only true on the surface of the hemisphere. At a general point in the hemisphere, z is independent of x and y, so [tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x} (2xz^2)=2z^2[/tex] and the divergence of E becomes [tex]2z^2+2x^2+2y^2=2\rho^2[/tex].

Last edited:

Related to [Calc 3] Gauss' Law for Elecricity over a hemisphere

1. What is Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere?

Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere is a mathematical equation that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere derived?

Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere is derived from Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By integrating Coulomb's Law over the surface of a hemisphere, we can arrive at Gauss' Law.

3. What are the assumptions made in Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere?

The assumptions made in Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere include a static electric field, a closed surface enclosing the charge, and a symmetric distribution of charge on the surface of the hemisphere.

4. How is Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere applied in real-world situations?

Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere is commonly used in the study of electrostatics and has various applications in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the electric field of a charged conductor or to determine the electric field inside a charged spherical shell.

5. Can Gauss' Law for Electricity over a hemisphere be extended to other shapes?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be extended to other shapes through the use of symmetry arguments. For example, Gauss' Law can be applied to a cylinder or a cube by making use of the symmetry of these shapes. However, it is important to note that the charge distribution must also be symmetric for this extension to be valid.