Calc Electron & Hole Concen in Silicon at 300K

It should ben_0=\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{(N_D-N_A)^2}{4}+n_i^2}In summary, the equilibrium electron concentration for silicon at T=300K with donor density ND=2×109cm−3, acceptor density NA=0 and ni=8.2×109cm−3 is found to be n_0=9.26×109cm−3 and the equilibrium hole concentration is found to be p_0=7.26×109cm−3, with a possible typo present in the original equation for n_0.
bobred

Homework Statement

For silicon at T=300K with donor density ND=2×109cm−3, acceptor density NA=0 and ni=8.2×109cm−3, calculate the equilibrium electron and hole concentration

Homework Equations

[tex]n_0=\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}^2+n_i^2}[/tex]

[tex]p_o=\frac{n_i^2}{n_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get
[tex]n_0=9.26\times10^9[/tex] and [tex]p_0=7.26\times10^9[/tex]
But whenever I enter the results into the online quiz it says it's wrong, am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobred said:
$$n_0= \frac{N_D-N_A}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}^2+n_i^2}$$​
Check your electron concentration equation again, you may be missing a parenthesis inside the square root.

Last edited:
Yes there is a typo, the calculation was correct though, it should be

[tex]
n_0=\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{(N_D-N_A)}{2}^2+n_i^2}
[/tex]

bobred said:

Homework Statement

For silicon at T=300K with donor density ND=2×109cm−3, acceptor density NA=0 and ni=8.2×109cm−3, calculate the equilibrium electron and hole concentration
This might not be relevant, but the value of ##n_i## given here for Si at 300 K is somewhat smaller than values that I have found in a search on the internet (which tend to be between 1.0 x 1010 cm-3 and 1.5 x 1010 cm-3). But I did come across one site that listed a value close to your value. Certainly, if the value you used is the value that is given in the statement of the problem, then you should use it.

Last edited:
I have seen similar values too, but the value was given on a sheet of constants. Can't see where the problem is.

bobred said:
Yes there is a typo, the calculation was correct though, it should be

[tex]
n_0=\frac{N_D-N_A}{2}+\sqrt{\frac{(N_D-N_A)}{2}^2+n_i^2}
[/tex]
Still looks like a typo is present. The denominator of 2 inside the root should be squared. But I agree with your calculated value for ##n_0##.

You are correct TSny, I was rushing and didn't check it properly.

1. What is the electron and hole concentration in silicon at 300K?

The electron and hole concentration in silicon at 300K is approximately 1.5 x 10^10 cm^-3. This value is known as the intrinsic carrier concentration and represents the equilibrium concentration of both electrons and holes in a pure semiconductor material at room temperature.

2. How is the electron and hole concentration calculated in silicon?

The electron and hole concentration in silicon at 300K can be calculated using the following equation:
ni = (Nc x Nv)^1/2 x exp(-Eg/2kT)
where ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration, Nc is the effective density of states in the conduction band, Nv is the effective density of states in the valence band, Eg is the band gap energy of silicon, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect the electron and hole concentration in silicon at 300K?

The electron and hole concentration in silicon at 300K can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurity doping, and external electric fields. An increase in temperature results in an increase in the intrinsic carrier concentration, while the addition of dopant atoms can significantly alter the concentration. An external electric field can also influence the concentration by causing carrier drift and diffusion.

4. Why is the electron and hole concentration important in semiconductor devices?

The electron and hole concentration in semiconductors is crucial in determining the electrical properties of devices such as transistors and diodes. The concentration of carriers can affect the conductivity and resistivity of the material, as well as the efficiency and performance of the device. A thorough understanding of electron and hole concentration is necessary for designing and optimizing semiconductor devices.

5. How does the electron and hole concentration change with different types of semiconductors?

The electron and hole concentration in semiconductors can vary depending on the type of material. For example, intrinsic semiconductors such as silicon have equal concentrations of electrons and holes at 300K, while extrinsic semiconductors doped with impurities have different concentrations of electrons and holes. In addition, compound semiconductors, such as gallium arsenide, have different effective densities of states and band gap energies, resulting in different concentrations of electrons and holes at the same temperature.