Calc I limit (find the horizontal asymptote)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of arctan(x^5-x^7) as x approaches infinity. The suggested method is to first find the limit of x^5-x^7 and then apply arctan to the resulting limit. However, it is noted that this approach may not work since the limit may not be in the domain of either arctan or tan.
Dr. HappyNuke
I'm a calc newb, and I am a little stumped here. Thanks for your help. How do you do this?

http://www.webassign.net/www29/symImages/0/8/103b04681b693242466ef17cefccc1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the limit as x goes to infinity of x5-x7? Then try to figure out the limit that you're given

If the limit exists, denote it by L. Then
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x\to\infty} \arctan(x^5-x^7) &= L \\
\lim_{x\to\infty} (x^5-x^7) &= \tan(L)
\end{align*}
[/tex]
So as the left side approaches -infinity, what does L have to approach? Remember tan=sin/cos.

Remember that if a function is continuous, you can take the limit 'inside'. By that, I mean that if f(x) is continuous, then [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = f(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x) [/tex].

arctan(x) is a continuous function, so just like Office Shredder first suggested, find the limit of x^5 - x^7 first.

Not to spoil the surprise, but

While the idea in the two above posts is correct, it should be noted that in this case

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} (x^5-x^7)[/tex]

is NOT in the domain of either tan(x) or arctan(x) so you technically can't arctan out of the limit, and in this case the limit is not in the domain of tan(x) either. So while doing what JG and n!k posted should give a good idea as to what the answer is, they can't be used as methods for final solutions

Office_Shredder, I thought that arctan(x) was defined for all x and also continuous for all x?

Related to Calc I limit (find the horizontal asymptote)

What is a limit in Calculus?

A limit in Calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function near a specific point on the graph.

How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a function?

To find the horizontal asymptote, you need to take the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limit exists, then it is the horizontal asymptote of the function. If the limit does not exist, then there is no horizontal asymptote.

What does it mean if a function has a horizontal asymptote?

If a function has a horizontal asymptote, it means that the function approaches a certain value as x approaches positive or negative infinity. This value represents the long-term behavior of the function and can help us understand the overall trend of the function.

Can a function have more than one horizontal asymptote?

Yes, a function can have more than one horizontal asymptote. This can happen when the function has different behavior on the left and right sides of the graph, leading to multiple limits as x approaches positive or negative infinity.

What is the significance of finding the horizontal asymptote of a function?

Finding the horizontal asymptote of a function can help us understand the overall behavior of the function and make predictions about its long-term trend. It can also help us with graphing and analyzing the function.