Calc Precession of Mercury Orbit: Stress-Energy Tensor=0?

In summary, the calculation of the precession of Mercury's orbit involves setting the stress-energy tensor to zero, as the contribution from Mercury itself is infinitely larger than the sun's. This is a good approximation because Mercury's mass is too small to significantly affect the sun, making it valid to consider Mercury as a test planet moving on a geodesic world line in the static Schwarzschild background. This test-particle approximation is commonly used in situations where an object's own field is negligible compared to the influence of a much larger object nearby.
pixel
In the calculation of the precession of Mercury's orbit, why is the stress-energy tensor equal to 0? There is energy and momentum at the location of the planet.

Physics news on Phys.org
To a good approximation, the stress energy tensor is zero and you can consider Mercury a test planet moving on a geodesic world line in the static Schwarzschild background.

Likes bcrowell
I assumed it was that the stress-energy tensor is small and can be neglected, which you have confirmed. It seemed to me that if you are calculating an orbit (i.e. position, momentum etc.) of an object and the stress-energy tensor has components made up of the object's momentum, etc., then those components would be comparable to the things you are trying to calculate and hence not negligible. But I guess you are saying that they are negligible compared to the influence of the much larger, nearby sun.

This isn't specifically a GR issue. An object can't make a nonzero net force on itself, because of conservation of momentum. Therefore its motion isn't affected by its own field. This is true for a test mass in Newtonian gravity and also for a test charge in electricity and magnetism.

pixel said:
It seemed to me that if you are calculating an orbit (i.e. position, momentum etc.) of an object and the stress-energy tensor has components made up of the object's momentum, etc., then those components would be comparable to the things you are trying to calculate and hence not negligible..

The part of the stress-energy tensor due to Mercury itself, at the position of Mercury, isn't just comparable to the part due to the sun. It's infinitely large compared to the part due to the sun, since the sun's stress-energy tensor there is zero.

In terms of Newtonian gravitational fields, or the Riemann tensor in GR, Mercury's contribution in its own neighborhood isn't just comparable to the sun's, it's orders of magnitude greater.

Still a little confused. One answer is that it's a good approximation to set the stress-energy tensor to zero. The other answer is that it's a fundamental fact that an object is not affected by its own field.

pixel said:
Still a little confused. One answer is that it's a good approximation to set the stress-energy tensor to zero. The other answer is that it's a fundamental fact that an object is not affected by its own field.

I don't know what Orodruin intended when he said, "To a good approximation, the stress energy tensor is zero[...]" Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe he could clarify.

The second half of his sentence is this: "[...] and you can consider Mercury a test planet moving on a geodesic world line in the static Schwarzschild background." This makes sense, and this is an approximation.

So the way it reads to me is that Orodruin wrote the sentence in haste, and the first half of the sentence is not actually the correct justification for the validity of the approximation used in the second half of the sentence.

The test-particle approximation is valid because Mercury's mass is too small to have a big effect on the sun. For instance, Mercury must raise some tiny tidal bulge on the sun, but that bulge is much too small to measure. That bulge in turn would have a gravitational effect on Mercury's orbit, but that is even more negligible.

Related to Calc Precession of Mercury Orbit: Stress-Energy Tensor=0?

1. What is the significance of the stress-energy tensor being equal to 0 in the calculation of Mercury's precession?

The stress-energy tensor being equal to 0 means that there is no energy-momentum density in the space-time surrounding Mercury. This is significant because it indicates that there are no external forces acting on Mercury, leading to a more accurate calculation of its orbit.

2. How does the stress-energy tensor affect the precession of Mercury's orbit?

The stress-energy tensor plays a crucial role in the calculation of Mercury's precession. It is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in space-time. In the case of Mercury's orbit, a stress-energy tensor of 0 indicates a lack of external forces and results in a more precise prediction of its precession.

3. What other factors besides the stress-energy tensor can affect the precession of Mercury's orbit?

Aside from the stress-energy tensor, there are other factors that can impact the precession of Mercury's orbit. These include the gravitational pull of other planets, the shape of Mercury's orbit, and any potential deviations from the theory of general relativity.

4. How accurate is the calculation of Mercury's precession using the stress-energy tensor?

The calculation of Mercury's precession using the stress-energy tensor is highly accurate. In fact, it matches observations made by astronomers with an accuracy of about 0.01 arcseconds per century. This level of precision confirms the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. Why is the precession of Mercury's orbit important in the field of physics?

The precession of Mercury's orbit is significant in the field of physics because it provides evidence for the theory of general relativity. It also demonstrates the importance of considering all factors, including the stress-energy tensor, in making precise calculations and predictions in the study of celestial bodies.